Outpost Security Suite Pro Release Candidate 5.0.1203.614.210

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chubb, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

2. hiro

hiro Registered Member

with ROOTKIT or without ?

3. Capone

Capone Registered Member

Hello,

Any screenshots ?

Because I had bad experiance with Outpost pro 4.0 and Outpost suite (OSS).
    I don´t trust them for long time in future !
    Too much to set and......

safe day,
    Zoran

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I just downloaded and installed it. I already had outpost pro 4.0 and nod 2.7 installed. It asked if I had nod installed and then nicely added it to the exception list. It seems to be running nicely at the moment. I'm going to see how it runs and go from there.

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Capone,

The OSS RC has the same UI as 4.X and the OSS 5.X beta. However, in this RC, the virus signature base has been added in addition to the spyware signature base.

Changelog for RC

http://www.agnitum.com/products/security-suite/history.php

The coming Vista version of OSS and Outpost Firewall will have a different UI, according to the recent Agnitum Directions (February 2007).

http://www.agnitum.com/news/agnitumnewsletter/issues/february2007/

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

License key for Outpost Pro Lifetime... I take it that it will not work on the Suite. o_O

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, unfortunately it won't.

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Registration algorithm has changed for the RC. I think details of the upgrade of the license key will be announced later. You can use it for 30 days for the time being.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello guys.

There has been some questions raised over the issue that OSS uses Alternate Data Streams technology of NTFS, the same used by rootkits to fork themselves onto regular files and to go undetected (RkR and RkU detected it, and also NOD). I am not sure, but the discussed build over this issue was 1184.7516 (previous?) Was there an official statement from Agnitum regarding this? Has anyone tried to do a scan with an anti-rootkit with this build? Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to undermine OSS here, as I am pretty much a fan of Outpost Pro fw, but I would rather like to see a reasonable explanation for this detections from RkU before trying this beta. Thanks in advance for any info... :)

Cheers.

10. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

This is an optional feature OFF by default now.
    Agnitum Knowledgebase Article 1000227
    After installing Outpost Security Suite, I detected a number of hidden files on my hard disk. - 18-04-2007

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

And from this KB article, I can see that the final version of Outpost Security Suite would start from version 1.0. This would be a better version number for the Suite. :D

12. SSK

SSK Registered Member

This seems to be the same mechanism Kaspersky used in v5, and it wasn't well received and sometimes caused problems with System Restore, caused the snapshots to grow very large...

[EDIT] removed error.

13. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I have a question in concerns to lifetime registration. Will my lifetime reg work for this, or is this a way for Outpost to sidestep ito_O

14. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

The April 18, 2007 entry for the Agnitum blog contains another statement.
    http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/

15. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Your lifetime license key will not work in the Suite, as registration algorithm has changed. I have a Outpost Firewall Pro life-time license key too. We all need to wait for Agnitum to announce for available upgrades path, or maybe free upgrades.

16. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I had a feeling that was the case.

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Here is an article from the Agnitum Blog on 18 Apr 07 about planting rootkits in the RC

http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/

18. hiro

hiro Registered Member

- this come from Outpost team.(not to believe)!

- it is to you to decide if this is reasonable explanation!

Regards,

19. hiro

hiro Registered Member

Thanks Chubb, but
    Here we speaks of security software and not of cheeseburger with mustard or without mustard
    What is your or (Outpost Team) sugestion for anti-rootkit tools, and AV developers, must change signature to find two type of rootkits, standard and Outpost Rootkit!
    With alert like this:
    "Guy yuo have rootkit, but this is Outpost ROOTKIT and are quite harmless, leave out"!

- seems me that here someone is remained back with the papers!

Regards.

20. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

have had a 2yr license for the old outpost firewall... be very wary of agnitum cowboys.. their support is useless.. havnt helped with any of the bugs/problems i had, was ignored by their support for a few months.. after complaining to customer services, support got back in touch... then ignored again..
    asked for a refund, got told NO..
    their firewall from v1.x - 3.51 showed signs of great promise, then v4.0 shipped and is so buggy, i wouldnt touch this security suite from them if they paid me to..
    if you pay for software and you run into trouble you would at least expect the courtesy of help... not from agnitum muppets:thumbd:
    may aswel have burnt £30 :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.