Outpost Pro Problem!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by LinuX, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinuX

LinuX Registered Member

When I installed Outpost firewall everything went smoothly, set up all the programs that I wanted to allow and it all worked, grate. But now when I open certain programs it keeps asking me to update the information, most of the time it’s from a temp folder.

I have attached a screenshot of the Outpost popup box, once I load a game via steam, then close it down and reopen it moments latter it will ask the same question, gets very annoying.

Can someone please help to fix this problem?

Regards,

LinuX

http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=outpostpopup6yl.png

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is an option within the rules to "ignore component control". Check within the rules you have created for your program. I dont have OP installed, so cannot post a pic or help more at the moment. If you cannot find this, and/or no one posts better info, I will install OP and post back the info.

EDIT:-
    Image attached:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You may end up with programs that don't work or out of date, some programs believe it or not have to comunicate with the makers server. Take Winamp for example, when you install it there is a option to send them anonimus data on how offen Winamp is used. There are more important reasons. So when you get a popup box saying do you want to block this change or accept it, look at the Details. What file...is it a file from your computers system or one of your programs. It maybe just your ISP checking if your software is up to date. They're more legitimate processes than you think. So blocking it more offen than not is a bad idea.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

This is not blocking, this is ignoring/allowing the component change without the pop-up, user interaction.

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, LinuX

Emptie [delete all the file] in the temp folder.

Then get: CCleaner to keep your temps clean, the best IMO is the Basic or Silm bulid without the ToolBar: Current Builds

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

With ref to the posted alert:- These are files created by the game,...on startup/during play

@cprtech,......the link you gave shows how to disable component control for all programs,...disabling component control for the entire system is not advisable...it can be disabled per application, as shown in my post.

8. cprtech

Yes, I agree with you Stem that Component Control should not be disabled. I should have stated that in my first post. Also, I should have mentioned post #5 in that thread has a link to Component Control updating that should be read. It is a very nice feature of OP Pro that can help prevent the infiltration of malware on one's pc. It can be annoying at times with all the alerts, but once one has updated their network-accessing app(s) and rebuilt the CC database, the alerts will tail off significantly.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi cprtech,
    The update component control is ok for installed permanent components,...the problem with the alerts for LinuX are the game temp files generated on each run, these will be "Variable" named files, so the update would be needed on each and every connection anyway. (and can be expected during game play)

10. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Stem

Your right, Sorry I missed that, I stan corrected. :oops:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

11. cprtech

Okay, I see what you're saying now Stem :) Your advice above to ignore CC on individual components is definitely the best route to go in this case. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.