Outpost Pro firewall questions...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have had Outpost Pro installed in the past but when I saw that the antispyware was disabled I uninstalled. Anyway, I am wondering if the antispyware is disabled will Outpost Pro still block ads, flash, banner ads, bad IP's, etc? If so, how effective is the ad blocking ability of Outpost Pro? Does it actually block ads or just hide them? And is this some sort of plug in needed to block ads and bad IP's?

I am assuming the free version does not have the ability to block ads...is this correct?

Also, I am on Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit. I have heard the current release of Outpost Pro is yet a bit buggy on Windows 7. Is this the experience of any other users? Should I just wait for the next release, which I think is early May.

Currently I also have Avast 5 free version and Prevx installed, running Windows firewall as well. I am mainly interested in the ad blocking ability of Outpost for when I use IE8 and monitoring outbound connections. I guess the other extras would be ok too.

Thanks for the info.

2. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I am using v7 pro on win7 64 and win7 32 OS's. I believe it will still block ads and bad IP's via the Web Control module. Not sure why the antispyware was disabled unless you were using the free version. I don't think the free version has the Web control enabled, not sure.

The only bug that I have encountered with v7 is sometimes the update gets hung up. It happened twice on my 64bit pc. With version 6.7 I never encountered any error.

Outpost works great with Avast 5 free and SBIE. All in all I think it's a great package. The reason I'm sticking with Outpost over the others is the superior logging capabilities. Far superior to any other product. It also works well with it's security features as well. The ad blocking is very good also. I happen to get it free via the trialpay thing. I wanted a new credit card so I received Outpost pro for free. I'm glad I did. :thumb:

Ice

3. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

4. falkor

falkor Registered Member

The answer is absolutely ! And all you had to do was check the box beside Antispyware during install if you wanted it . The ad blocking ability is excellent and no plugin necessary . As for blocking them or hiding them ....that is a funny question . They are blocked . And for bad IPs ? It will block those BUT , it is not a great idea to use it as some IP's considered bad BY ANY PROGRAM can also be linked to good IPs in which you wish to view .

5. acr1965

Thanks for the answers. I am mainly concerned about the ad blocking and outbound connections. HIPS I am not so concerned about right now.

6. falkor

falkor Registered Member

I would be surprised if you try it and do not like it UNLESS there is a compatibility issue . This firewall ( Outpost Line ) is excellent !

7. acr1965

Well that was a disaster. I installed Outpost Pro but couldn't get any internet connection with my browser. Some other connections seemed to work ok though. Disabling Outpost brought my internet connection back. Eventually uninstalled. Now windows firewall does not work. When enabled my browser won't connect to the www. So I have to disable it. Now I try to re-enable windows firewall and re-boot. But at every reboot windows firewall is disabled again.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I had same problem in the past (windows firewall turned off after reboot)when trying other firewalls.I always fixed it by going into services>windows firewall>right click then properties>log on >tick this account and put your login password in>apply>ok.
    Always fixed it for me.Might for you too.
    ellison

9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Strange, I had the same issue using ver. 7. It only happened on my Win7 64 box. Ver 7 was a bit buggy for me, so I uninstalled it and had the same issue as you. I installed 6.7 and everything is working perfectly. I think I will leave 6.7 on instead.
    Ice

10. acr1965

I have Windows 7 Ulltimate, 32 bit. Maybe I'll give version 6.7 a shot.

11. acr1965

thanks for the tip, will give it a try

edit- It worked! thanks

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  12. falkor

falkor Registered Member

Getting Windows firewall re enabled should never be a problem . The issue you had is a bad one . That is what I mean about Outpost . I cannot use 6.7 because it screws up my email . If it works for you , it is great . If not , it sucks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.