Outpost Pro 4.0.971.7030 (584) Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rickster100, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello,

Agnitum have released Outpost Pro 4.0.971.7030 (584). Details available at the Agnitum Website.

Richie

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Cool, hopefully they have ironed out a few of the bugs that annoy me.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Memory 19,948

4. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

This version looks like a keeper. The previous one had some annoying quirks. I'm using with latest beta (595) of System Safety Monitor, with Outpost's Component Control level set to low, excluding SysSafe.exe and Nod32 processes from Anti-Leak Control and there are no compatibility issues to note. As for memory use, who cares? Stability is far more important than that.

5. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

Does that mean it requires more compared to previous versions?

Havent tried outpost since 3.0.

6. cprtech

It has varied from ~3100kB to ~18000kB. If you open/close the interface from the Task bar, memory will be released. Too much emphasis is placed on memory use. Let's say you are running 512,000 kB memory (probably low by today's standards) and an application is using 30,000 kB. That's not even 6% of the total physical memory. Yet people will point out that firewall X uses only 10,000kB memory as compared to 20,000 kB memory for firewall Y. So what? Stability of the application is far more important than how much memory it uses, especially if mem use is around 20,000 to 30,000 kB typically.

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I agree stability of the application is far more important, but to some people it is very important. That is why I posted my memory reading for outpost.exe .

8. cprtech

Nothing wrong with that. It is just perplexing to sometimes see references made to memory use of an app as if it is the ultimate parameter by which to rate how good it is.

9. farmerlee

Yeah outpost 4 memory usage varies quite a lot i have found. If i turn off a few features it can drop as low as 3-6mb's. Normally tho i find it anywhere from around 15-30mb's.

10. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I tried Outpost 4 last week. Liked it very much, but it has serious issues with Spy Sweeper. System froze up several times, got a few BSODs, ugh. Had to go (since I just bought NOD32 and re-upped my SpySw deal for two more years for the price of one).

Now I'm back to Sunbelt Kerio 4.3, which is stable as a rock, but if you want to talk about memory usage... !! The three processes running Kerio are currently eating up -- are you sitting down?? -- 31, 32, and 49 megs of RAM !!

When the system first starts up, they run about 2, 3, and 8. But when I open my Thunderbird and Firefox browsers (FF currently has 19 tabs open) the Kerio modules go through the roof.

Am I reading this right, or is there something else going on here?

Sam

//

11. cprtech

Well, that is alot! In cases like this where a program is using way more than typical (15-35 MB) then I agree it is cause for concern. You may want to try this latest 4.0 release of Outpost. I find it a huge improvement over the first 4.0 release.

12. SamSpade

I tried the version that was available ~30 days ago. Unless they have made a significant change in its compatibility with Spy Sweeper, it will not work on my machine -- at least not without freezing on a regular basis and invoking the BSOD.

Do you know if the latest Outpost has ironed out those incompats??

SS

//

13. cprtech

According to this http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/history.php they have ironed out the Spysweeper issues. However, there really is no way of knowing for sure unless you try it. In the Agnitum forum someone complained that the McAfee issue has not been resolved, even though Agnitum claims it to be. It kind of looks like a crap shoot, unfortunately.

14. SamSpade

Well, that sounds good!! I really liked Outpost but when the freezes started, and then the BSODs... I became impatient.

Another resolution may be in shutting down one or more of SpySwpr's shields; I've read somewhere that someone tried that with success.

SS

//

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont get the fact that on the US agnitum site they have the 4.0 version but the UK site still has the 3.5 version?
    lodore

16. farmerlee

Yeah i found that outpost 4 combined with spysweeper did cause a few problems for me as well. I removed spysweeper and now use CA antispyware 9 alongside nod32 and outpost 4 with no problems.

I guess with 19 tabs open alongside everything else you are gonna have to expect that kind of resource usage. If you have plenty of ram i wouldn't worry about it however if not then i suggest you do not have so many tabs open at any one time.

17. farmerlee

Well i'm very pleases with this latest release from agnitum. They seem to have fixed a few of the problems so i'm actually able to use it again. I haven't tried this latest version alongside spysweeper yet to see if some of the issues have been resolved. But so far this does look like a keeper.

18. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Is their forum up and running ? I get an error when trying to access outpostfirewall.com

19. cprtech

The site's been down since a few hours ago. Something's afoot :doubt:

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

This new version still reports on first installation, that Webroot Spy Sweeper installed on my machine could cause stabilty issues if not added to Outpost Special Exceptions rules, It says on the website that they have fixed this up! Then why does it still report this on first installationo_O?

21. cprtech

That is just to allow Spysweeper to "modify" system memory. The stability issues with the previous OP release were caused, I believe, by other factors.

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Outpost tries to fix the stability issue with Spy Sweeper by adding Spy Sweeper to the Outpost exclusion list. This is one of the steps to fix the issue.

Attached Files:

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Try is the word! I spoke with Outpost Live Chat Technical Help,and a Person called Angelina, said THe problem had been fixed, but adding programs to Outpost Exclusions List is nessecery due to the Outpost Architecture. Wouldnt you think though, If it had really been fixed, it would no longer be required to add programs to the exclusions list? Makes more sense than saying its because of the architechture of Outpost :doubt:

24. SamSpade

Yes, indeed, one would think if a product advertises a "fix" it would, in fact, fix something!! :)

That rant aside, at least the new Outpost gives you a work-around.

"Baby Steps" -- a la, "What About Bob" -- Bill Murray.

//

25. SamSpade

Before I go back to give the new 4.0.971.7030 (584) a spin, I'm now putting Jetico 1.0.61 through its paces.

So far, so good. It had pretty much the best results at leak test site: (http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.