Outpost Pro 2.6.451.5123 released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Maybe you should just stick with Kerio 4.0
    ;)

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I had the blue nastie screens in past versions of Outpost, but up until now none in the latest version...strange thing :)

3. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Maybe a lot of people should. However, I like Outpost and when the BSOD problem is finally and clearly fixed for most users, and the numerous BSOD reports cease, I will resume using it.

I seem to have inadvertently become embroiled in some sort of Firewall Wars ego-contest here. I have immense goodwill towards OP and do not wish to bag it.

4. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

personal comments removed CrazyM

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  5. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Which threads have I hijacked? I posted responses to the topic under discussion. Then I was obliged to correct misrepresentations of what I had said, including a misrepresentation by you (where you incorrectly altered my word "posts" to "post"). I have said nothing that was not factual.

You and Paranoid2000 (whose work I greatly admire and who is a real asset to this site) both posted responses to what I said that totally misrepresented me and seem based on inadequate readings. The kind of ad hominum posts that you have just posted are unhelpful to anyone. Please stick to facts and leave the emotion out.

To accuse me of spam is serious and derogatory. Prior to this post we have made four posts each on this thread. I invite the moderators and other members to iread back and see how this discussion has developed. I invite you hayc59 to address other members civilly.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Let's all stick to the topic and avoid personal confrontations.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Err, anyone having problems with Outpost 2.6 and Mcafee Virusscan 9 and Outlook2003? Outlook always hangs when I open it and it tries to access the net. In fact, Outpost asks whether I want to allow the spawned process MCVSESCN.EXE (or something like that) to start but I can't click on the pop-up to allow it to (I could do it with 2.5). And when I Force-Quit Outlook, Outpost closes too!

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Removed a few posts above that contained one last jab\shot between individual posters after it was asked by CM respectfully in post # 56 to stick to the topic and avoid personal confrontations.

9. Jeremy2

Jeremy2 Registered Member

I had BSOD when protowall and outpost were both installed. I removed protowall, which is driver based, and no more BSOD.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    I did a total uninstall last night of the older version of Out Post and installed the latest version. I was new to this firewall and got it back in December so I wanted to undo any mistakes I did in the configurations as I went. Just in case. Now that I know the program a little better I can do it all up right. I used Automatic config. and will continue to work with it and tighten it up as I go.

Bottom line for me on my older Compaq Presario 256ram running a Celeron at 800mhz machine...never had a BSOD. Never had a hang or anything. But I have never on any firewall been able to get the block ADS to work with out blocking what was needed or screwing up the site pages. This feature just is not worth the hassel on any of them I've worked with.

As to the concerns expressed by Mods. they are correct you all have given some fine advice in the past... just follow my sig. be friendly and respectful and we will all be just fine. :)

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

There were issues between McAfee and Outpost 2.5 also - see the Mcvsescn.exe/outpost 2.5, Mcafee Virusscan 8.0 email scanning and McAfee Email Scan Hangs on component control threads at the Outpost forum - hopefully one of those will offer an acceptable fix or workaround.

Since your issue seems to be with the Hidden Process settings, it may be worth testing while allowing all such activity (Options/Application/Hidden Proc/Allow Access) though I would caution against using this setting normally unless you have security software like Process Guard or System Safety Monitor since these can cover similar activity.

12. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Thanks Paranoid.

13. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Jeremy2,
    Thanks for the tip on protowall, I was going to junk it anyhow if I used Outpost now I will make sure I do so before I try it out

I'm in P2K's cautious category, I'm giving OP another week or two to see if any other issues pop up before I start testing it out

14. gottadoit

Looks like I was one of the unlucky ones, took off ZAP and put Outpost on and have been getting frequent 0x8E BSOD's

Maybe I'll make some time to try and work through it, but for now it looks like I'll just go back to being annoyed with ZAP (with clean install this time which might resolve my issue)

15. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

There is a plugin available for Outpost called Blockpost which offers similar functionality to Protowall (blocking by IP address). Perhaps you may find it an acceptable alternative?

As for the BSOD issues, they could be due to remnants of ZoneAlarm remaining after its uninstall. See the Outpost forum FAQ Extended Zone Alarm Uninstall/Outpost Install Instructions for details.

16. gottadoit

P2K,
    Thanks for the link, I'll give it a whirl when I have a few hours spare; the blue screens were somewhat of a pain

I was thinking of having a look around the outpost forums to see if there are any "debug" or information gathering modes I could enable in order to help get the BSOD resolved. In my case it was easy to repeat the problem and the Stop was coming back with the same addresses every time.

I certainly didn't have a very good experience the first time I tried Outpost, but the GUI looked nice enough and I'm stubborn enough to try and get it working and help get the problem fixed (even if I don't end up using Outpost beyond the trial period)

I had already seen Blockpost (and wasn't using ProtoWall during this test) but thanks for the pointer...

After having a look through the OP forums the other week it was a little unfortunate seeing that some of the plugins don't seem to be actively maintained. Presumably you communicate to the OP support team during your testing, maybe you could suggest (if you haven't already) that they productize the extra functionality....

Thanks for the response and I will be trying it again...

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you can reliably duplicate a BSOD or other problem, I'm sure the Outpost folks would like to hear from you. I once had a problem and reported it and they had me download some kind of debugging stuff to help track it down. I believe it has since been fixed too. You might try reporting your problems to them and see what they say (if you haven't already)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.