outpost fw 2.5.375.374 > filtering web stuff

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by OPG, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OPG

OPG Guest

Hi,
    I have a small question to Agnitum Outpost firewall relates to its filtering web stuff (cookies/active contents/ad/images/webbug/...). Normally, as I have read about, personal firewalls use local proxy (ex, 127.0.0.1) to screen out the web stuff prior to letting them into internet browser of users; and it uses localhost to filter web stuff prior to allowing them out to the internet addresses?
    Is that OP is implemented that way to handle web filtering? How about if users set up fw rules to block out/in to localhost? any ill effect? better or worse?
    thx for helping.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Outpost's plugins do not run as local proxies and will be unaffected by any rules settings for 127.0.0.1. They instead work on network traffic as it is processed by Outpost itself - in the case of the Ad, Content and Active Content filters they act on web traffic only, Attachment Quarantine on emails and the DNS cache on DNS requests.

3. OPG

OPG Guest

Thanks so much for the information.
    As a security expert, can you please comment on OP2.5x vs. other firewalls (ZA/ZAS;tiny pfw;sygate pfw;LnS)? LnS takes care down to earth with network adapters but logging seems not fancy as with OP.
    thx.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

My experience with other firewalls tends to be limited to their documentation and known issues. A forum search on the products you list should provide plenty of information on each one and most have their own forums which you can visit to find out current issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.