Outpost Free, Win7 x64?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by entropism, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Anyone have much luck with Outpost free on Windows 7 x64? I had it installed on my systm up until last month (alongside Avast, then Eset), and it was slowing my system down considerably. After I uninstalled OP and put on another FW, it ran perfectly, but I don't have much confidence in the current FW that I'm using.

So... Anyone using Windows 7 x64? If you are, how is OP running? And if you're not using OP, what are you running? I'm behind a router, so it's not so much the FW I'm worried about, as it is HIPS. Outbound protection would be nice, just as a safety feature.

2. Julian

Julian Registered Member

I can confim your issues. Terribly slowed down system and the HIPS gives wrong warnings.
    Just unusable, I'm now sticking with KIS beta which has other issues but the HIPS is ok and nothing is slowed down too much.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

is windows 7 officially supported by Outpost?

4. Julian

Julian Registered Member

5. entropism

I'd love to see SOMEONE make a decent FW/HIPS combo for x64. Comodo is good if you want a classical HIPS, but I have no desire to keep that close of an eye on things. I just need a behavior blocker and firewall.

Maybe I'll look into Kaspersky when '10 comes out. Is it fully functional with x64 yet? I believe some features were x86 only in prior versions.

6. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

This is a mistake. The Outpost free version does not support Win7. Using it will likely cause your system to crash. See here: http://free.agnitum.com/

It's the latest version of Outpost Pro v 6.7 the supports Win7.

The bad performance you are seeing for OP free with Win7 is expected. It won't work since it only supports Windows 2000/XP/Vista.

7. entropism

And after reading Outpost's forums, even the pro version makes Win7 unusable. I'd be willing to purchase if it worked, but instead I'm looking elsewhere.

8. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

I don't know why you say that. At the moment I'm using Win7 RTM with the Outpost suite and writing this post with no difficulty.

You have to understand that people come to forums with problems and rarely do they come to say that things are working nicely. There's no doubt there are problems, particulary with the 64 bit systems, but saying that it makes Win7 unusable is clearly not correct.

9. Julian

Julian Registered Member

If you use the automatic mode KIS is more or less a behavior blocker and not a classical HIPS anymore.

No, but it's already good. There's room for improvements though.

Sorry, I didn't recognized the thread is about the free version. Nevertheless firzen771 asked only about Outpost, not Outpost Free and I even linked to the system recommendations of the Pro version.

I was referring to the Pro version, 6.7.

Are you using the x64 version?

Only the x64 version and it may be subjective:

1. Explorer slowdowns don't bother all people the same. I hate it when the Exlorer is slowed down and that's why it's unusable for me.

2. Wrong warnings of the HIPS: You may didn't recognize them as wrong or it is ok for you? I personally don't need a HIPS that tells me things that aren't going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.