Outpost Firewall will not open

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mercurie, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

help!
    Outpost firewall will not open up. windows vista says it is running, but it is not in the system tray or when you go to programs and click nothing happens. This issue occurred after my last Outpost update. I can not uninstall using Windows because it appears you must exit Outpost first. CAN NOT EXIT IF YOU CAN NOT OPEN UP THE PROGRAM! everything seems to be working. Access to the net no problem?? It was there after update (but later after shut down) then today I noted it was not there. I tried everything reboot and all. It is not in the icon tray and window will not open up for it. Even reinstalled update. Kept my same settings. Did not do a fresh install. Nothing. Obviously I am very limited as to what can be done if I can not pull it up. What gives?

Any suggestions? :(

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Will it let you reinstall Outpost or does it complain that it's running and won't let you? If you could reinstall, then you could remove it, and wait for a fix.

If you're really stuck, I suppose you could find the service(s) in the registry and delete them, which would prevent them from running. Not sure if the GUI is a service or not, but you might be able to find how that starts up and kill that too. Then uninstall.

Or perhaps you can kill the GUI process in task manager and see if that's enough?

Or maybe post on their forum and then wait for a fix?

3. mercurie

I did note that every time I try to pull it up I create in task manager under processes a new: op_mon.exe I tried to reinstall but maybe I will try again. Once it said I had the latest version but then another time it let me reinstall.

It did not help.

4. mercurie

I got it back. I went out and reloaded a new copy. Reinstalled that copy, this time I disabled self protect hoping that I could uninstall then from vista install uninstall programs if necessary. I did this when it asked me if I wanted to change configuration. I clicked no, but did not do an immediate restart but allowed it to open up to make changes, I am uncertain as to what I did to get to that point, I just don't' recall, but I did not let it restart right away and it opened a window allowing me to make the self protect change. Then I restarted it hung. It hung on the welcome screen. I rebooted cold again. This time the it showed up in the icon tray and could be opened up from programs as well.

I don't need these kind of problems. I may uninstall and go back to windows vista fw only. :( :'(

I don't want to close this issue and would love to hear from others on this. Has anyone else experienced this? What happened?

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Outpost can be finicky sometimes. When I used it I always let it create it's 'default configuration'. Then I made a copy of it. If it happened (and it did a few times over the years) that I needed to reinstall or had a problem, often just deleteing the current config file, then copying the copy I had, and renaming it back to original, cured the problems.

It was also common it seems that the database for the logs would corrupt. Especially if ever a bsod occured or power outage, something like that. I would rename the database file, and it created a new one on startup. You could also just rename your current config, and it should build a new one.

Sul.

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hey

its happen to me when i upgrade too you must be installing it from user mode even if you give admin permission its not let you install in real programs files its problem in vista security....i recomanded you to restore your system to date when outpost is working fine from safe mode and then uninstall and reinstall it from safe mode.........in vista i got uninstall problem but its work in safe mode i got access denied even at adminuser may be because of UAC....funny thing it i disable it still dont let me uninstall and i got 2 outpost installed 1 from usermode one from admin ....LOL
    also try to look in your program files i guss there must be 2 outpost installed.....its happen to me what i did as i said above i restore my pc to till date when outpost running smooth then i uninstall it from safe mode reboot reinstall it its working fine after that make also sure if you are running any antivirus no need to uninstall it its better if you install outpost after any 3rd party antivirus.....:p

hope its help you....:))

7. mercurie

thanks for the replies. I just booted up and everything seems to be o.k. mack_guy911 you have a handle on what I did. However, yesterday when I was looking for restore point I was surprised to see none was created before upgrade, I guess sometimes it does not happen but most programs create one for me on their own. (good for them :thumb: ) So I went back one more day and for what ever reason Vista would not allow me to restore (it failed) I did not try safe mode that was going to be something I did try down the road if I could not get it back.

Finally, I do believe when it finally got right I was at that point in Admin account. I got tired of doing the password every time in the other account. Again I think mack_guy911 has had my issue and his solution appears to be what I kind of fell into. Reinstall under Admin account. AVG never blinked and according to Outpost each time I was installing it made itself compatible with AVG based on it's own window notice. So I never uninstalled AVG but I did turn off resident sheild while installing.

I am now debating if I should keep it. :doubt: With a Vista firewall and a router not really sure. Love that Ad block works better then any earlier versions.

Also it is percular that Windows firewall was on along with Outpost. No warnings on that or auto turn off of Windows like others either.

To my knowledge I do have only one copy running.

Question: if I go to settings and check update manually that is good for new versions as well not just spyware data base...right??

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  8. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

mercurie, Got your message and un-fortunetly I am on Windows XP
    Pro and have no problems what so ever, I do know some users
    are experiencing problems with Windows Vista
    as far as updating data bases look here
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23916
    also I would recommend opening a thread at Outpost forum
    you may get faster help over yonder? have you sbmitted a ticket to agnitum
    on this?
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/forms/submitabug.php
    I am sorry I am not runing Vista OS[tried it and did not like it] waiting for Seven to
    pop!!!
    G

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I had the exact same problem with the latest Outpost not opening while windows said it was running on a Vista 64x PC.

I was able to uninstall it with the regular Vista uninstall. The uninstall dialogue made it look as though the program was not uninstalling by appearing to be frozen, but the program was in fact uninstalled.

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

to be honest i love outpost firewall more than window or any other firewall what i did is i disable window firewall and let the outpost handel all ....its better to run only one firewall and let it handle all

to disable control panel>window firewall or if you want to work with both they are working fine together...but i am using only outpost only :)

one more strange thing i notice in outpost that if you disable it (i mean exit) and try to reload in vista it wont work strange but vista cannot let it.... best and easy solution is reboot your system and let it reload all by it self...:p

update:- updates its spyware database only for new version its still recommended to download and update it mannualy from www.agnitum.com

the best thing about outpost is its blocklist

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=234095

just import it ...its suffient to block basic ads like doubleclick......etc and many other malware sites as well

hope it help you a lot :)

11. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

This is a bug in X64 Vista systems. A fixed version is on the way. Hang on.

12. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

;) thanks Manny!!

13. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

New version (6.5.3 2518.381.0686) released. Please see: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=177092#post177092

The following issues are resolved (only significant ones are listed):

Compatibility and stability:
    • Issue with displaying running programs in the system tray after installing Outpost on Windows Vista;
    • Issue with Outpost monitor load under Windows Vista 64-bit;
    • Issues with antivirus engine initialization under Windows Vista 64-bit;
    • Images were not displayed in help file;
    • Search in help file did not work

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

end task the service that is running and uninstall,buyaaa;)
    and about not showing in the system tray check if windows defender block it or if you have to apply changes to it:thumb:

15. mercurie

Thank you very much for all the replies. I am on PC 2 at the moment but will download the new version that addresses the bug when I am on PC 1.

Again, thanks to all. :)

No question Giddyup imho XP is more stable less cranky then Vista. I hope 7 is better for me too.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  16. mercurie

Updated to above version. Using new version now. No further issues working just fine. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.