Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DVD+R, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

This program wont let me install anything, it pops up a access denied you do not have active permission to perform such action. OK! so how the heck am I supposed to install something, if it keeps blocking the installation o_O besides disabling outpost that is.

2. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

You could try putting it into auto-learn mode so that it can generate rules for you. Perhaps it already came up with a prompt at some stage and you might have clicked not to allow it access to the files it wanted to modify.

You can always disable self-protection as a last resort then re-enable it again as soon as you've installed the program.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Go to task bar icon and right click
    turn FW policy to rules wizard
    turn on Enter Learning mode for say a week OR until you have run ALL your internet facing programs, updaters, email, browsers etc.

Let thread know how you do.:D

4. guest

guest Guest

This is not normal using the default configuration, you must have block it the first time, delete all the rules and start again.

5. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

I just installed Outpost firewall pro 7.5 while ago and im pretty sure it was set to auto-learnmode after installation. Could you snap a screenshot about the problem?

6. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Even in auto learn mode the new outpost does give alerts on signed aplications. It however tells you when it's a good or trusted aplication

7. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Good to know, thanks :)
    I always disable auto learn mode, so didnt know about it.

8. Escalader

What users would do (unless they are real rule experts or have saved them from earlier versions of OP and then they could import their rule set)

1. Go into rule wizard mode
    2. Go into auto-learn mode
    3. Run all programs or just stay in learning for 1 week
    4. Disable automatic rules auto-creation
    5. Un-tick auto create rules for applications signed...
    As rules come up for approval take the time to read the pop up and the TRUST details.

After another week save these rules as set 1
    Go into the rules one by one and remove/disable any incoming rules you don't need.
    As things stay working save the rules daily just like any other daily data.

The forum on OP has posts about rules as does this forum under other firewalls and the stickies.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I have tried the above mentioned, and also disabled system/ appication guard but to no avail, every time i click on a program exe. to install I get the following message: Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

So what now? I've deleted all the rules several times, and it just applies them again only to present the same problem after a while.

10. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

You mean any exe or some specific ones ? By the way if you're opening from a USB drive this will happen because of the new usb protection.

11. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Did you enable file/folder lock for where that program is located? Look in the in the File & Folder lock log in Event Viewer

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  12. Escalader

Hello:

As Manny suggests, what about the relatively new OP feature File & Folder Lock? Have a look in your settings and see if you have a file(s) or folder(s) there it will block access if other programs try to access them.

I get that message all the time when I run ESET it can't scan the locked files. Without commenting on the wisdom of that , I suspect that is the situation you face as well. Even though I have given ESET permission to access OP assets the file lock feature overrides that.

I find explorer blocked from time to time as it trys for no reason I can think of to access my locked folders. I suspect search index is the cause.

Note:

For super security (overkill) you could encrypt a file/folder then use OP to lock it. 2 different passwords. The file is secured :argh:

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

you cant turn off auto learn or turn it on, this is set automatically at installation. Anyway, its ridiculous that Agnitum haven't looked into this, and I'm not tuning the firewall on and off, just for this. I have a lifetime licence, and its becomming a lifetime problem licence. These programs arnt suspicious or anything like that, they are general software that I'm installing, ( correction) trying to with Outpost engaged, but it wont let me. for now, enough is enough, I'll do without a firewall untill they shake their ass, and fix this.

14. Escalader

I see your frustration BUT I have to tell you that I just did it on my setup.

I've got W7 ultimate 64 bit so with rules wizard set as FW policy I can go in and out of learning mode at will.

On OP FW Pro I'm on 7.5 (3709.574.1667)

Some other factor is at work in your setup.:argh:

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

How exactly? I right click on the OP icon in the taskbar and it says its already set at rules wizard. On the top of OP it says *Learning Mode, but I cant find anywhere to turn this on or off.

16. Escalader

Right click on the OP icon in the task bar

and you should see leave auto learn mode a few lines down from policy.

then left click that line.

What happens now

17. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Auto-learn is controlled by the user using the tray icon. You can right click and enable it or disable it as you wish. My attachment shows how this is done.

Did you look at File and Folder lock?

The Agnitum product really is among the best around but it does take a while to fully understand all the options available. File and Folder Lock can over ride auto-learn and stop it from working. There's a priority of what happens first. Sometimes its unexpected. The problem with such an extensive feature set is that minor errors may cause frustrations. It's possible that this isn't for you.

Attached Files:

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Found the problem, My Downloads folder is located on an external drive connected by USB, If I copy the exe. to the desktop it allows installation, so the question is how do I disable USB protection?

19. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Settings/ Proactive Protection/ Removable Media Protection.

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Perfect! :cool: Thanks henryg that worked a treat ;) problem solved, case closed :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.