Outpost Firewall Free 6.51 vs Outpost Firewall Free 7.1

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zip, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zip

zip Registered Member

6.51 has weak inbound filtering, but is designed to run alongside Windows fw safely. What about '7.1?

2. zip

zip Registered Member

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I just started using OSS Pro from Giveaway Of The Day and can confirm as one of the links you provided indicated that it has attack detection. It also has other settings you can bump up to offer more protection. So far I'm really liking it.

4. zip

zip Registered Member

I'm not interested in the Pro version.

I'm asking about Outpost Free 7.1.

5. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

But one of the links you posted addressed the Pro version. I don't use the free version so I can't answer your question.

6. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

First off you should not run 2 firewalls at the same time, will most likely cause
    a conflict sooner or later!
    Second I recommend and would go with the latest
    FREE version of Outpost :thumb:

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

But don't they tout it being able to work with Windows firewall. I remember reading that somewhere (it could have been a review site).

8. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Pretty sure OP 6.51 disables windows FW on install....I doubt they would be doing that if it was meant to run with windows WF...I'm a noob so I could be wrong....but for all that I've ever read I never seen a case for running two firewalls at the same time.

9. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I agree and I wouldn't run two even if it was the built in Windows one. I just thought I had seen somewhere that Outpost could run with it enabled.

10. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

No Agnitum has never made reference to that.
    As clubhouse has posted it will dis-able any other firewall running
    at the time.

11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Just to confirm some points here:

1) NEVER run 2 SW FW's at the same time EVEN if the ticked boxes seem to allow it. This includes MS FW.

2) The only exception rule 1 is a HW firewall such as those in routers you can setup.

3) OP's SW disables MS FW upon install.

I can't remember if MS FW is is re-enabled when uninstalling.

If I disable OP FW for say 5 minutes, security centre alerts me that I have 2 FW's BOTH not active and suggests I choose one.

Then after I re activated OP FW security centre now tells me that BOTH OP and Windows FW are BOTH on.

If this is true I am now in violation of rule 1.

I'm in windows 7 SO this behaviour may or may not apply to XP or vista.

Now I'm going into services to see if windows FW is on or not.

Okay Windows FW was on, so I now think that OP FW Pro ver 7 has a bug that leaves Windows FW ON after a temporary suspension of protection.

I will report this to OP support by reference to this thread.

Thanks for the question.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  12. Escalader

Hello Thread:

As promised I just now submitted this "bug" or "malfunction" to OP.

On the initial post, it deals with free versions. Here is the link for the free OP SUITE. Note it is a suite with an AV in it SO users MUST fully uninstall their existing AV or SW FW before attempting to try this free one out.

http://free.agnitum.com/

Please note, I'm not advocating the suite as I've never used it. Support is available for it on the OP forum at:

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/foru...neral-Discussions-Support-and-Troubleshooting

13. Escalader

Here is an edited response from vendor:

What we don't know is when/if this will be dealt with.

I'm done with this for now.

14. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

windows troubleshooters, updates, service packs, repair installs, etc have a bad habit of doing what microsoft thinks is best for you, turning the firewall on again because if it is off you must not know what you are doing.

as escalader mentions above, NEVER RUN TWO SOFTWARE FIREWALLS AT THE SAME TIME. always turn off the windows firewall if you are running outpost firewall or security suite of any flavour. to ensure it stays off, use control panel admin tools - services to disable the windows firewall service completely. check it's not running again if you do any major updates or repair installs, or run a trouble shooter.

it's also best to never run two anti-malware systems in real-time scan mode. at best it's slower, at worst, it can cause problems.

p.s. - agnitum's security suite has had 9 vb100 awards in a row, more than most of the big names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.