Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by PaulBB, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Feedback from XP-Pro SP3.
    It's a wonderful firewall, fast on the internet - but
    1. Logs - nonexistent really. Nothing like in 2.7. Those text files are very difficult to read, sort, find
    2. I can't get a handle on the popup/alert situation. Something is not correct on my computer. Outpost might go ask for DNS and never ask for subsequent http or might not ask about a new application altogether
    3. All configuration here are manual as well
    I tried with the Rules Wizard setting and Block most setting and can't fix it to what expect, which is ASK me for anything new. Probably just me, I probably messed up and can't figure out what. Yet...

2. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Well, at least it's not just me! I run so much of this stuff that occasionally I go config blind and often miss the simplest of fixes for a problem that I don't really have!

Unfortunately the logs as you say are more or less useless. I also found that memory use at around 30MB was more than twice what Privatefirewall uses and three times what a Sygate and Realtime Defender Pro combination uses.
    I could live with that if the rest of the functionality was up to speed but in this case not.

For average users though who don't want or can't be bothered with too many settings the auto rule completion in Outpost seems very competent and if the self protection also turns out to be strong enough then this would be a better alternative than some of the other free offerings for the simple reason that it also appears to be system friendly!

3. zip

zip Registered Member

Some people in this forum don't seem to know what internet speed is from their replies to my posts about Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5. o_O

I use Speakeasy to check my internet speed.

Some fw's slow internet speed more than others.

Sunbelt's fw & Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5 slow internet speed more than others that I remember. Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5 is the worst at slowing down internet speed that I know of. :'(

ZA Free is easy on internet speed.

I'm not talking about boot up, program start up or how long it takes to scan something. :rolleyes:

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Just using it for a short time I find the firewall/hips light with no slow downs. I really like the gui and think it can be a great freeware fw/hips. My main grip with it, is the popup situation. There is definitely something wrong. It does not remember settings etc.... This is a major issue that should be fixed. It could be my setup which is GesWall, Avira PE, FF 3.1 beta3, winxp sp3. I also had the same popup problems with the above config but with vista home sp1. I really wanted to like this program but the inconsistent popups are a show stopper.

Ice

5. deadmeat

I'm sure it's not your setup. On this machine I have XP Pro SP2, Avira free, Opera 10 Alpha, Realtime Defender Pro and it's the same. Inconsistent popups and logs via the GUI are a real waste of time. Gave me just 6 blocked entries for NetBIOS and incomplete packets after a whole session surfing. As you say, something wrong which wants fixing and/or improving. This could then be an excellent free firewall.

6. mattc421

mattc421 Registered Member

I use KIS 8 on most of my machines. On an older laptop I'm using AVAST free along with PC Tools Firewall + Threatfire. The folks here will forgot more than I know re: firewalls, etc.. But from a web browsing standpoint, this combo is as fast or faster at rendering pages than KIS or other firewalls I've tried. I am using the latest versions of the programs listed above.

If you are concerned with low memory use and slowdowns, you may want to give PCT a try.

7. deadmeat

PCT is very much like CIS at the moment in that some users have it working with no issues at all while others are experiencing a range of problems from the mildly annoying right up to system failures. For experienced people there's often a simple workaround for PCT freezes but average users don't usually cope quite so well when everything suddenly locks up. I also don't like it when I see vendor advice on forums to disable part of an application (Enhanced Security) in an attempt to remove compatibility issues. These things should be sorted out before release and not have to rely on input from forced "community testing".

This is one of the reasons why I find the new Outpost Free version interesting because at first sight it doesn't appear to suffer from, or contribute to, any system instabilities. Once the rule setting and log issues get sorted this firewall could soon attract quite a following.

I agree though that if you have PCT running error free then stick with it. The default settings are excellent and I also concur with it's rendering speed. Certainly the fastest I've used. I appreciate that looks are a very personal thing but the GUI could still do with a serious makeover. Perhaps PCT could get the guys from Rising to have a look at it?

8. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

Are you hinting that ZA free Firewall runs the lightest and quickest?

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5 Realeased

Hi Stem:

FWIW, I'm learning and testing the paid version of OP FW Pro 2009 and it also downloads news without user permission. In fact, while I was initiating an update to the product the "news" was downloading and this news delayed the update.

So what bothers me is 2 fold:

1) User can't disable the news feature
    2) Security updates can be delayed.

A solution for the vendor would be easy:

1) Separate update feature from news and make news optional
    2) Put news on the web site and / or just use opt in email to customers who want news.

On OP rules hard coded or otherwise , I will post my own observations much much later. At least I can see now see the rules now much like Kerio.

10. disPlay

disPlay Registered Member

its good to know that OP finally updated their firewall

11. zip

zip Registered Member

NO, not at all. I have ZA Free on both my computers (now that OP is uninstalled & ZA reinstalled), what else could I use for comparison o_O

With ZA Free shut down, internet speeds up. With Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5 shut down, internet is still slow. What's wrong with that picture?

With ZA Free on (Computer A) & with OP on (Computer B), both connected to same router, ZA doesn't slow internet like OP. (tests not run at same time) I also compared both fw's on same computer, but not at same time & never had two fw's installed at same time on same machine.:rolleyes:

Do you get it nowo_O

12. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Zip, I understand what your saying totally
    and for some its a great firewall and others not!!
    I used ZA long long time ago[its cause alot of issues..one being very slow like you] and then found Outpost and have not looked back since, Its what makes you happy thats all that matter...stick with what turns you on *puppy*

13. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Agnitum's Outpost Firewall Goes Free

We are pleased to announce a new free version of the award-winning Outpost Firewall.
    Outpost Firewall Free 2009 encompasses Agnitum's fundamental protective mechanisms and provides key components to build a comprehensive security system.

Agnitum's decision to develop a free version of its flagship product has nothing to do with climbing on the bandwagon of acclaimed gratuitous solutions. Despite economical trends and high development costs, the company sees its goal as to equip the IT community and average internet users with the main parts of the security construction set at no cost

More Info: Agnitum Blog

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thanks for the update.

Just installed, popups for applications appear to be working/rules added correctly now. I was given a popup for both of outposts applications and blocked them, simply for testing, and as they say, "No news is good news"

Looking good so far.

_ Stem

15. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

Loud and clear.. Intersting.. Do others experience the same?

16. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Nice to see updated free version.
    Will have to give this one a try soon.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just installed it here, seems pretty nice. No issues now. At first I was a bit confused by the popup prompts and was allowing things once, then seeing them again, I thought rules weren't being made. But when I hit the "Ok" button instead of Allow, everything seems to work right. So I assume Allow means Allow Once. So far so good.

18. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Interesting observation. I thought there was an issue with this. I will try tonight.

thanks
    Ice

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Kerodo,

Did you tried with some heavy traffic, like P2P?

Regards

20. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Stem:

In this free version did you notice if the password feature is present?

What it does is provides a user some extra insurance that their settings/rules can only be changed by user. In this case you!

21. cet

cet Registered Member

It was about manual updates.But no,this firewall does not auto update.I had installed the very first version which was 6.5(2425.....) and it did not auto update.I installed the newer version on top which is 6.5.1(2725.381.0687).It asked me if I wanted to keep my settings I answered yes and the installation was smooth,and after a reboot all my rules was there.So it is not auto updating but it is very easy to update.You do not have to start from scratch like in Online Armor free.
    So far I like this firewall.Virtual memory + working memory never exceed 30MB.And CPU time is very low.I am thinking to uninstall ZAP which I had from a promotion to install Outpost free on my real machine.This firewall is working near perfect on my virtual machine.:thumb:

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Escalader,

I did not see anything, but admit I did not look. I just mainly wanted to check if issues had been addressed

I did have a problem with a download, a file 866mb (CAD program upgrade), but the file download would not complete (attempted 3 times) until I uninstalled Outpost free.
    I need to find time to re-install and check that out to see what the problem was.

- Stem

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for your info ;)

Do you know if the Pro version have this auto update feature? Just to know... :)

24. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I installed it in sister's laptop. running smoothly and nicely ;) I like it (hope she does as well :))
    She uses open Wifi (or how it's called in english)
    Does this free version protect against attacks from unknown Wifi sources?
    Like when someone in the same Wifi broadcast area wants to connect/attack her laptop.

Thanks in advice!

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Where did you find about this new version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.