Outpost cpu requirements for connection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lynchknot, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Has anyone noticed that Outpost Pro requires a certain amount of CPU or it will deny connection? (or rather not open connection) If I have a CPU intensive app running, I have to wait until it's done until I can open my browser. Is this common for all software firewalls?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've never noticed that here with Tiny Firewall.. or others for that matter. I have been burning a CD, which is fairly cpu intensive, and started my browser at the same time without problems, except for general slower reaction times in the browser due to the CD burning cpu usage...

3. lynchknot

Yes, this is one bad bug (I think) with Outpost. I'll have to see if a bug has been filed. Edit - well, I can burn a CD and still connect but when another app won't release enough CPU for Outpost, it hangs. It seems to require more than what is given and any other firewall.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's an interesting one. Have you posted on this in the Outpost forum by any chance? They might be interested if it's a bug...

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I ran a Passmark PerformanceTest full system test (66-98% CPU usage) with the OP 2.5.375.374 running and had no problems browsing, checking e-mail, etc., at the same time.

Nick

6. lynchknot

Well then it's just me then. Page will keep loading (until unable error message appears) and Outpost won't even register sites in log that are trying to connect unless there is enough cpu.

I can have 15 tabs loading and nothing will show here unless there is enough cpu for outpost to run:

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/5265/tabs2jw.jpg

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Could be a browser or OP plug-in issue. I use Opera and have only the "Attack Detection" and "DNS Cache" OP plug-ins enabled.

Nick

8. lynchknot

I see your point. I have disabled all but blockpost and attack detection - I never had Dns cache activated. Thanks.

9. lynchknot

Nope - Outpost requires more CPU or all sites in tabs are "not found" (or maybe Fx does not have enough CPU to send request to Outpost?)

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/3483/nope9ex.th.jpg

Outpost just seems timid in grabbing CPU. When Fx starts, it will grab as much as it needs to start away from NOD32 - outpost just sits there quietly without much or momentarily 17% cpu which was not enough. I set NOD32 on below normal priority and it connects now.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.