Outpost Component Control

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JayTee, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Hi,

Just started using Outpost again (own a lifetime licence:).

Anyway, installed a new software program. When I fire up firefox, Outpost notifies me that a dll from the program I installed has changed. This is not a dll from firefox or any other program. If I try to block the dll, firefox cannot access the internet. So I had to update the component. Is there a security issue here? After all, program itself is not accessing the net. Or is this an example of a leak?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Welcome back JayTee,

Component Control is one of the hardest features to get used to since it can be triggered by other items of software on your system which inject themselves into all other programs (examples include mouse/touchpad drivers, some security software, theming software like WindowBlinds/WindowFX/CursorXP and utility software like StrokeIt). This ultimately comes down to how Windows works and the systems it offers to allow program X to change program Y (which can then be abused by leaktests and malware using similar techniques).

The Outpost forum FAQ Component Control in Outpost 2.5 has more information on this and I would suggest reviewing it.

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

JayTee
    No security leak OR any problem there . It is obvious that FF caused another dll to change . It was ok to allow it .

4. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.