outpost and outlook express

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rothko, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

Hi

I asked this a while ago (over at agnitum forum) and as a result have the Open Process Control option disabled now.

Basically, I have 2 users on win xp home, one using thunderbird one using outlook express. I am the thunderbird user, and if my girlfriend wants to check her mail she does so by switching user, but with Open Process Control enabled Outpost will block this and the following entry is made in the Alerts Tracker Log:

15/04/2005 16:49:34 Process network access blocked CSRSS.EXE modified memory of MSIMN.EXE

The only way to get around this is to not use Switch user option and log off and on instead, or disable open process control. I dont wanna do the first because switch user is quick and easy and means i dont have to close everything down just so the girlfriend can check her emails. I'd rather not do the second because the process control seems a valuable security feature.

I dont see many other posts about this issue on this forum or over at Agnitum. Do other people just not use fast user switching and outlook express the way i do? i know i could disable process control and get a third party process guard app...is there no other way around this?

thanks in advance, lee

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Outpost does not work well with Fast User Switching since only the first user logged in will receive Rules Wizard/Component Control prompts. Since the "fix" for this is likely to be non-trivial (proper FUS support would require the ability to set up and apply different rules configurations to different user profiles simultaneously), I doubt that this will be addressed in the short term (though you could contact Agnitum directly via their support form to ask about this). If FUS is critical to you, you may need to consider another firewall.

3. rothko

rothko Registered Member

cheers for the reply, paranoid

lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.