Outpost 7 Public Beta Testing Is Underway

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by FirePost, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falkor

falkor Registered Member

This Beta is a bit buggy but , different things for different folks . Take what people here say with a grain of salt . CogitoTesting especially . His problems do not mean you will have the same result . I have tested . I had much different results . However , take my opinion with a grain of salt as well . Outpost does not get along well with some other software . It never has and it seems as though it will not change . This Beta is completely unusable for me . Will not go into detail as everyone is different . I have been with Outpost since it's inception . There will be builds that stink . There will be builds that are great . You just have to find the right one . Version 7 here is not good for me . Still in Beta though . And when it comes out of Beta , I doubt it will be much better . Only time will tell . But , try it if you have not already to see your own results . That is the only true way to figure if it is worth your time and will work with what you already have .:)
    Good Luck .

2. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Well then let us agree to disagree in the case of apples and oranges. My premise was and still is that Agnitum does not provide any new technology beside "HIPS". If you provide the contrary evidence to my premise, then we will have a good exchange. Until then I'm still waiting for a beta tester or anybody to tell me beside HIPS what else does Agnitum provide with its OSS 7?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Trying it on Windows 7 x64 and the service won't start. I get an Error 1067: Process terminated unexpectedly.

4. CogitoTesting

Are you trying OSS 7 on your real computer or on a VM? For now the only advise that I can give is to do a clean uninstall and try again and make sure possible files that OSS 7 may leave behind are deleted; for that purpose use Ccleaner or Comodo System Cleaner. Are you running other programs or security programs during OSS 7 instalation attempt? Was Windows firewall off before the installation attempt? Please tell me more?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

No, this is a public beta that anybody can try. I'm not sure about pop-ups since I put in my license but I would expect that eventually it will annoy you if it doesn't now.

I don't really know the answer to this since few of us use the free product. Let me suggest that you save the configuration file [configuration.conf] for the free version so that you can bring it back later should you so need. I would start fresh with the beta by uninstalling the free version first. It's always better to start fresh.

And not to rush you in any way but I think the lifetime license deal is ending shortly. You can write Agnitum and find out.

.Agnitum has commited to upgrade the free version but as this is basically advertisement for the paid version I would expect that the free version will always lag way behind the pro version. The biggest thing I dislike in the free version is the significantly underpowered log viewer. Otherwise it's pretty good as it stands. During the OP install you can select not to install several modules as you'll see if you test the beta and install it cleanly rather than upgrade.

And not to rush you in any way but I think the lifetime license deal is ending very soon. You can write Agnitum and find out.

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have the pro version 6.7 running on my win7 64 machine and I installed the beta right over the top. It asked to import my rules and configs etc before installing. So far I like the way version 7 runs. Very similar to ver 6 with the exception of a face lift and some new file/registry viewer. I'm sure there is more under the covers. The only error that I encountered so far is when updating the spyware defs, the app froze. I needed to re-boot to get it working again. I will report here and Agnitum forum with any issues.

Ice

7. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Amen and said perfectly!! thanks Falkor :)

8. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Manny,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll stick with the free version at least over the next few days untill I know how it reacts in various curcumstances and then consider the pro and beta versions. If I decide to go with Outpost and miss the lifetime offer fair enough.

Cheers

9. Manny Carvalho

You're welcome but I wouldn't consider the beta as an alternative to the free version. It's just a test version and not a fully stable product. It's purpose is to flush out bugs and then have them fixed when the retail version is offered. It shouldn't be considered for long term use unless you want to be a permenant beta tester and live with bugs. Besides, I bet the beta will expire anyway and become unusable after a certain period of time.

Good luck with your testing. You may want to check our FAQ on the free version if you haven't already. http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24216

10. CogitoTesting

My premise still stands; anything new?

Thanks.

11. Manny Carvalho

All that is listed here: http://www.agnitum.com/lp/outpost-7-beta.php and here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/891170-agnitum-outpost-version-7-public-beta-released/

Basically the new stuff is:
    • Application Guard
    • File and folder Lock
    • File and registry monitoring
    • Content Filtering

With many other improvements in many areas such as:
    • Enhanced anti-leak
    • System Guard
    • AV Engine
    • Update Process
    • Better stability for Win 7
    • Lots of little stuff

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Cogito, I only have a question pertaining to your remark "Now I tested the same piece of malware with NIS 2010 and Norton handled that sucker automatically and the same is true for KIS 2010. I've got to tell you that I was quite impressed because NIS 2010 made it look too easy." If you are satisfied with a few other FW's, why are you taking so much time agonizing over OP7?

13. The Source

The Source Registered Member

Gave the Beta version of Outpost a try for a couple weeks on Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit and had no problems. Still prefer O.A. and Avira Premium AV and put them back on.

APACHE

14. CogitoTesting

Agonizing wow what a word, well probably because I bought my own lifetime license.

My premise still stands even after Manny answer. Maybe you can take a shot at my premise, please.

"What else beside HIPS that OSS 7 provides?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  15. CogitoTesting

Hi Manny your answer is quite revealing. So If understand well:

OSS 6 did not guard my applications.

OSS 6 did not monitor my files and registry.

OSS 6 did not filter my content.

I'm saying this because all of these features are supposedly to be new. Wow what a revelation.

Thanks.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Actually, not being schooled enough I haven't tried the beta, and am waiting for the final. I am following this thread to watch the progression of the beta as the techie's test. Maybe I can learn something along the way. :)

17. CogitoTesting

And if you need my help in doing so I'll help you, no kidding.

Thanks.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.:D

19. IceCube1010

The Application guard seems to protect your browser only. I can't seem to add to this feature. I didn't notice this function in 6.7

The file and registry monitor is a way to see which files and registry lines are executed within a certain app. Not sure how it protects you but might show something that dosen't look kosher to a trained eye. I didn't see this feature in 6.7

The content filtering I believe is updated to include more protection when surfing the net.

It would be nice if Outpost had a bit more intelligence on some of the hips/Fw questions that pop up occasionally.

Overall I like the layout and design of this product over others. I'm not saying it's better or worse but more logical for me to look at.

Just my .02cents,
    Ice

20. Manny Carvalho

Perhaps I wasn't clear or you are just being obtuse on purpose. This is new functionality. And there were improvements of existing functionality. I provided links for you to read. Please do so. If you want to know exactly how the new functionality performs I'll be glad to provide information but I refuse to be drawn into a pedantic discussion.

21. Manny Carvalho

That's right users can't add to this list. Agnitum maintains a list of protected apps. If you have them installed then they will show up on the list. Those apps are protected from having critical areas , such as configuration files and registry entries, from unauthorized access.

With the files and folders lock a user can choose what is protected from unauthorized access or modification.

There's a new System Guard tab in the Applications dialog which allows for a good bit of flexibility in allowing exceptions to System Guard.

22. IceCube1010

thank you for the clarification.

Ice

23. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I have been trying this beta firewall for only 2 days, but so far I like it. I have used many versions of Outpost firewall off and on throughout the years as well as Comodo and Online Armor.

So far Outpost 7 runs without issue and is easy to configure. I don't use the web control so I disabled that. The interface is easy to use. I don't notice any system slowdowns on my laptop with this running along with MS Security Essentials, but I shouldn't really as my laptop has an i7 processor with 6gb of ram running Win 7 Pro 64bit.

I ran the Comodo leaktest just for the heck of it and with Outpost Anti-leak set to Optimal which is the default leaktest protections enabled it scores a 260/340. When I set to maximum it scores a 310/340.

24. s23

s23 Registered Member

Hi!

Is possible add the hability to use IP ranges in the rules? something like:
    Protocol
    direction
    to 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.10
    allow

I think this will help alot with security, because for example you can restrict svchost.exe to only connect to Microsoft IP ranges, so even IF a malware inject in it, it cannot send personal stuff out not is? or no??

THX

25. qpok

qpok Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.