outpost 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TECHWG, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

There seems to be something very queer with this version and i can not put my finger on it. it just seems not as good as 3.5 . . Any comments ?

2. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

I agree. 3.5 is, IMHO, far better stability-wise. I ditched 4.0 to try out comodo which I am so far very impressed with. Just for kicks, I have been running - revisiting actually - Kerio 2.1.5 + System Safety Monitor for nearly a week. It's a very nice combo.

Back on topic, If you check the Outpost forum there are many who are having issues with ver 4.0. Time will tell whether or not Agnitum can resolve these issues. Personally, I feel Agnitum dove in over their heads with this version.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  3. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

There must be something you can point to TECHWG. There are three post in two threads alluding to this something. One would think if it is that noticeable one should be able to identify it. Might it be the overlap between the new Antileak options with products such as ProSecurity?

4. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I dont like running software firewalls (I run a Fortigate Hardware firewall/IPS/AV)
    due to the fact that they seem to do more system harm (instability over time) then they give benefit.

Given all of this, I have tried the latest version of Outpost 4 and I loved it. Seemed to be fairly light on resources and didnt bog the system down. The reason that I dont use it now is that it seemed to conflict with Sandboxie. I would rather run a sandobox over a firewall due to most malware is now installed though the browsers ... and yes even firefox with limited scripting.

5. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

What problem are you having? I'm running Sandoxie with Outpost 4 on two computers and don't have any issues.

6. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

There is an installation precedence issue with Sandboxie. It is covered in the Known Issues Item 7. The issue affects installation and removal. They coexist once the installation is resolved.
    Outpost 4.0 - What to Expect

7. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

It's so queer that I won't run it. :D Seriously, I'm a current license holder and I think this version is as buggy as all get out. IMO, it's not remotely as stable as v. 3.51. It used to be my top choice, now replaced with a certain free firewall that's been making a lot of headway lately. ;)

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

QBGreen and TechWG,
    I am one to want good hard evidence of problems before jumping to conclusions or making such comments. But you have started this not me. Sounds like I am about to tell you that you need to not say such things.

NOPE. I feel similar to both of you. It does not have the same feel as 3.51 while running. :doubt:

9. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

I spent less time with version 4.0 than with any other version of Outpost, including the infamous early 3.0.x versions. I'm a registered user but I am just not comfortable with Agnitum's latest inspiration. It is buggier than any other version I have ever used.

10. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I was too vague in my prior post. So, I'll expand on my reply a bit. I installed the gold version of Outpost Pro 4. Set it up and tweaked it out. When I went to check the logs (awesome logging, usually), I was told that I had no permission to access these 'read only' logs. Being that there is nothing going on with my system that should make these logs inaccessible let alone read only, I was a bit surprised and more than a little cheesed off. I am a guy that hates 'work arounds'. As I read the forums at Agnitum, I could see that the work around department was in full effect. So I uninstalled the bugger and cleaned my registry of the offending software. Ergo, my prior post. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.