Outpost 4.0 Release Candidate available

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Paranoid2000, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A Release Candidate of Outpost 4.0 has been made available for public download. Please see this Outpost forum announcement for more details.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Paranoid2000,
    Thanks for the info. :thumb: I will have a play with this release later.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks for the update on this new version.

I will wait until you experts have your fun and report back. Look forward to some positive report....;)

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Just hope the 4.0 RC has fixed the locale and spyware base update issue.

5. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

ppl who uses Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0 with Kaspersky proactive protection enabled which feature in Outpost has to be disabled?

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

looks a touch lighter,but still too many prompts,i ask than why outpost during installation says that it will automatically allow known apps.

opera,which i am using now had to go through 3 prompts even after enabling auto-rules of outpost.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The "anti-leak" in Outpost is a feature that will result in more prompts initially since legitimate software doing similar actions needs to be OKed by the user. If you want something prompt-free, then Outpost isn't a good choice for you.

As for Outpost's known applications, it depends on users supplying data (via the ImproveNet function) to Agnitum for them to collect checksums on the most popular. As such, a release candidate is going to have fewer (being based on limited beta testing feedback) than the final release.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I had a quick play,... the anti-leak is working well on the short tests I made. (OP alerted to the loading of my network monitor drivers (only SSM as alerted to this before)).

9. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

ppl who uses Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0 with Kaspersky proactive protection enabled which feature in Outpost has to be disabled?

anyone?

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

In my opinion, this is the best software firewall out right now that covers the application layer. We will see if it holds it's grounds :D

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

12. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I am really flabbergasted by this new Outpost release. And I am happy that I bought the lifetime key a while back. This v4 might be the best thing ever!

Impressed to the bone!

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Got mine today. Working just fine seems to have reduced memory useage here. A very critical issue on my aging machine. :thumb:

14. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Registered Member

Do this: http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?chapter=186528170&qid=192779758 (just not to have problems with KAV's internet scanning modules), then disable Anti-Leak so that you may have only one proactive defence module (the one in KAV) .

15. budfox

budfox Registered Member

Haven't used Outpost in a while. Saw the Beta and tried it out. Impressions are that this is a big improvement over previous versions. One thing though....if you have realtime antispyware enabled, it zaps around 6 - 9 % of the CPU's at all times. Memory impact also jumps to around 40,000k as well. This is too heavy.

For me I would rather run my browsers sandboxed (sandboxie) and turn off Outposts realtime antispyware. In this config, things run better in my opinion.

Anyway..great job on v4.

16. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I have been using outpost for over a year now and v4 is fantastic - by far the best firewall around with significant improvements over v3. Give it a go...

17. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

This release candidate works very well on my computer. Still runs more smoothly than Comodo.

18. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah outpost 4 seems to run very good most of the time on my other computer. I do have an issue where my computer seems to slow down from time to time since installing it but i haven't fully looked into it to see if outpost is responsible for it.

19. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Running as smooth as cream cheese! The Anti-Leak component is spot on so far. Looks like Agnitum may well have their finest offering to date. Can't wait for it to go gold. :thumb:

20. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Thats funny. While all security vendors are piling on features to compete with Norton and getting fatter in the process, Norton is now headed in the opposite direction by dropping features and well as trimming its bloat. Gotta follow the market leader.:D

Just like 5 years ago when Norton when the "suite" route, and everybody thought best-of-breed was best, they slowly all changed their tune and now McAfee, Zone, Kaspersky, F-Prot, Outpost, BitDefender has a suite.

21. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Outpost is not a suite. It is a firewall that incorporates plug-ins, all of which can be disabled or even removed.

22. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Outpost 4 is running great on my machine and I have all the plugins enabled including the realtime antispyware plugin and my cpu usage fluctuates from 0%-2% idle and memory usage is 5,800k presently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.