Outpost 2009 Free or Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Toby75, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I am not using the free version, but Minoka
    may stop by and explain this, unless your talking about the Pro version itself?
    and then just go into settings/configuration/export and save it somewhere
    safe...I usually give it a recent date for a name :cool:

2. minoka

minoka Registered Member

OP Free.
    To save OP Free's configuration, go into the folder where configuration.conf is located, copy it to somewhere else on your machine. I would rename the copy to, for example, opfreeconfiguration.conf. If you cannot copy OP Free's configuration, you may have to disable OP's self protection.

OP Pro.
    Before importing this opfreeconfiguration.conf into OP Pro, I would first export my present (OP Pro) configuration to some other place on my machine (see GiddyUp's post above)!
    Importing a config replaces/overwrites the one in place (which thus is always called configuration.conf)...for this reason, I think it is always a good idea to rename exported configs, I use dates! The name of configs to import does not matter, after import they will be called configuration.conf again. Hope this makes sense :)

After having imported the Free OP config into OP Pro, I would check all settings -in OP Pro- to make sure 'imported stuff imported correctly' (!) and to have a look at new settings, i.e., those that were not available in OP Free for example.

I have not imported a Free OP config into OP Pro. But I have replaced OP Free's configuration with one from OP Pro. So you do all of the above at your own risks...

Perhaps someone has used an OP Free config in OP Pro and can say more about the procedure.

Good luck.

P.S. I only tested OP Free briefly and am not using it now.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  3. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Hi minoka,

Thanks for the explanation. I saved it and named it as todays date. :cool:

4. minoka

minoka Registered Member

You are welcome.

5. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I installed Outpost on a test machine with Stem's rules. I'm throwing malware left and right at Outpost and it's yawning! :argh:

6. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Stem,

I downloaded AKLT (anti keylogger test) and executed the program. Outpost prompted and I blocked it. Outpost successfully blocked it. However, it created AKLT.exe in the known components section of host protection. This means that if I were ever to click allow by accident other components/processes would be able to access this file without outpost prompting. The same thing happens when I test real malware on my test machine.

Is this supposed to be this way?

Attached Files:

• PIC.jpg
      PIC.jpg
      File size:
      54.5 KB
      Views:
  7. minoka

minoka Registered Member

Yes, this is what happens. Just remove/delete it from the components list...
    There are a number of threads about OP and leaktests at the Outpost Firewall Forum...

8. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Hi minoka,

I'm not really concerned about the leak tests. This was just an example. What I'm saying is that if I block a program from executing, Outpost should not add this executable to the known components list.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Toby,

This is an area I have never liked with Outpost.

Adding the application itself is not really a problem, as it still needs permissions made for any actions it takes, however, if an application is actually blocked from starting, then the application should be added and tagged as blocked, but you will get a popup each and every time it is executed, even if you keep pressing block.

The same problems are with the component control. If for example, you have become compromised and a new component is attempted to be added to your browser, for me an HIPS would warn of this and then give the user the ability to block that component but still allow your browser to connect out,, but as always with OP, it will block the browser "Until it is restarted", so you restart the browser and again you will get a warning of the new component. So you either have to allow the component or find a way to remove it from your system before you can connect out without that component being added.

- Stem

10. minoka

minoka Registered Member

As Stem wrote, the fact the blocked app has been added to the Components list, is not a problem in itself.
    If you launch that app again, you will be prompted -again- to allow or block it. At least that is what happens on my machine with OFP 6.5.4 (2525) Host Protection set to Maximum.

I do not recall ever experiencing what Stem describes in the second paragraph of his post above, so cannot comment.

11. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I've been playing around with Outpost Pro and it has some weaknesses the way it is laid out- like most software.

The only thing that bothers me- During installation it asked for low level physical drive access permission from SSM. Alarms go off in my head when I see a request like that.

But overall it's a keeper for me!

12. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Stem,

Would you be able to check out my latest log for outpost and let me know what you think...this will be the last one I promise.
    :-*

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
  13. s23

s23 Registered Member

post edited.
    I found the answer for the questions.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  14. waters

waters Registered Member

If i get the paid,is there an option not to install antivirus

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Theres no antivirus (only antispyware) in outpost pro ,and yes you can choose not to install it .
    ellison

16. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Is anyone able to advise about the use of an old version of Outpost Pro please?

If I download the 3.51 version what will happen to it after the trial period ends?
    Will it remain functional but just without updating, or will it cease working altogether?

I know there are still "keys" for some of the older versions floating around on the Tip & Trick page - are these still OK?

I don't fancy the idea of the new full blown version and neither do I want to pay for an old one if there's the possibility of using it for free. I won't use illegally altered software and I'm not bothered about updates.

Any information appreciated.

17. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

yes sure , with pleasure
    i use it for years

it will stop working
    but if u have a key for a certain period , it will still work perfectly all what happen is that no update , and since it's an outdated version already so logicaly there's no place here for the word "update"

for me i use a lifetime license which let u to use any version of outpost even if outdated

as i said if u are in trial , will stop working

18. waters

waters Registered Member

Under network activity i have ACS.EXE.Is this normal

19. country2

country2 Registered Member

I'm using the free version and its the first time I've tried Outpost in about 9 years...

It running pretty good on my system with Vista but one thing I cannot stand even though its a small thing and not really a problem but its that dang update button that instead of looks for a update all I get is the popup for upgrade to pro....or is it just me?

20. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Hello Country
    Its not just you ;)

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=18705
    Note: Do not click "Update" in Outpost Free. This program is free, no support. Clicking update will only offer you to 'upgrade' to Pro (paid) edition.

21. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Can anyone help me choose whether to allow or block?

Attached Files:

• OP.jpg
      OP.jpg
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
  22. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Just hit "Block" (blocks temporarily) and if that doesn't cause problems, you should be okay to block it permanently if it prompts you next time.

23. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Got it -- Thanks

I use Vista...what network rules should I set for services.exe. What about anti-leak?

Thank You

Toby

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sorry, I don't use Vista, but for network rules, there are no entries so no network access, and Anti-leak rules are shown in the screenshot. Maybe this is the same for Vista? I can't be sure.

Attached Files:

25. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Here it is in Vista:

I set "process memory injection" to block. Is this ok?
    What about DNS API request? I notice in XP it's set to use global while in Vista its set to allow.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.