outpost 2 beta - ive got it :)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tahoma, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Of course : there is nothing to compare : nothing is done till now : just praising a product which don't exist till now.

Wait and see : remember Ants v3 ;)

2. angel

angel Registered Member

22. district, Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth
    >Of course : there is nothing to compare : nothing is done till now : just praising a
    >product which don't exist till now.

It exists. But i think you don't know Andreas very well. I will ask him if i can send you the latest version i have, ok? And if not i will just post some screenshoots.

Andreas is a little bit "own" concering his software. Mostly he just do all the things to learn something and he has many ideas (in my opinion too many :D). Every time he solved one problem a better solutions comes into his mind and he start the whole thing from scratch. Its a little bit strange ... But i will take care you will see a little bit more as soon as possible.

3. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hullo,

TIA : if it's not a pre-beta, I would be glad to install it on a test machine.

Best regards,

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Angelo, feel free to distribute a2 copies to anyone asking for it. As for screen shots: please post them over on the a2 board, and post a link if you feel like it.

regards.

paul

5. angel

angel Registered Member

Will do it so ... :D.

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thanks.

regards.

paul

7. _anvil

_anvil Guest

@Angelo

Yes, and I could add _a few_ more (as stated above) - but do these few FWB trojans (which actually are blocked by 'modern' firewalls!) justify a statement like "they cannot block trojans/backdoors or spyware"?
    No, and that's why I asked for (general) explanation... :rolleyes:

I would more agree to something like "they cannot block _all_ trojans/backdoors or spyware" or "there are still many ways to bypass firewalls."

Well, your 'a² advertising' ( :D ) sounds impressive and I'd be happy to take a look at it - but, as JacK said, it still has to come...

8. controler

controler Guest

Now guys !!!!!! you know I would love a chance to take a peek at
    A 2 and my e-mail address is even stll up here. Can always send a message here too.

Thanks

con

9. Belden

Belden Guest

Edit: Let's try and keep things on topic and not personal. CrazyM

10. angel

angel Registered Member

>Yes, and I could add _a few_ more (as stated above) - but do these few FWB trojans (which
    >actually are blocked by 'modern' firewalls!) justify a statement like "they cannot block
    >trojans/backdoors or spyware"?

Well ... of course they are able to block a NetBus backdoor. But most script kiddies are using "modern" backdoors as mosucker. And by the way. Modern firewalls are not vulnerable to dll injections any more. But code injection is still possible. For MoSucker 3.0 there is an inofficial PlugIn using a direct code injection without using a DLL. But well ... Firewalls of the current generation are able to block malware form about one year. Would you recommend any virus scanner that detects now finally the malware that was up to date last year? Why would you recommend a "modern" firewall that is only able to block malware that uses very old techniques introduced by trojans a year or more ago?

You will agree that most script kiddies would use the latest malware version. And this malware is still "undetected" by any firewall without a sandbox component.

Spyware works most time as a part of a browser (PlugIn etc.) and they communicate using the browser (WinInet or internal routines). If the browser is allowed the spyware is it too. So the firewall is in fact not able to block it. Ok ... you can block your internet browser, but well ... its not such a good idea *g*.

>Well, your 'a² advertising' ( :D ) sounds impressive and I'd be happy to take a look at it - but,
    >as JacK said, it still has to come...

I asked Andreas. He said he will a link to a daily snapshoot of a² to the a² board :D.

11. JacK

JacK Registered Member

I Might post a bunch of snapshots about any program : it does not proof it works as advertised.... See KAH FW for instance ;)

When I shall run the program I will have an opinion : I am in advertisment biz and I know there is a big difference between ad and reality :cool:
    Till now that remains virtual possibilities, no effectiveness.

Best regards,

12. angel

angel Registered Member

I didn't mean screenshoot. I talked about current developer versions (called snapshoots). He will code a little script and every evening the latest version of a² is uploaded so everyone can try them out :D.

13. _anvil

_anvil Guest

Hi Angelo,

spent some time to 'validate' some of your comments, that's why I'm replying late... ;)

That's true, as well as OptixPro(1.3) and Assasin(2), according to DCS (http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=mainthreats) - but all three are blocked by 'modern' firewalls, and only one of them has FWB capabilities to bypass 'old' FWs... :cool:

The firewall Look'n'Stop (as well as SSM) can obviosly even block code injection - at least some (new) leaktests show this.
    I suppose, other firewall vendors will follow, if there are more nasties using this technique. :)

I weren't able to find this plugin on several Mosucker websites; so I assume, it isn't widely distributed!? :rolleyes:
    Can you give me a hint where I can find it? Just want to see if it can bypass Look'n'Stop and SSM.

As already said above, this is not really true.
    Although I have no numbers, everything indicates, that most new backdoors are still 'conventional' and can be easily blocked even by old, simple firewalls.
    FWB trojans are rare, and the few ones are normally blocked by 'modern' firewalls. :)

Agreed, but note, that FWB trojans aren't that easy to use for simple-minded script-kiddies, so many of them will stick to 'simple' port-listening backdoors.

Yes, but 'modern' firewalls have sandbox components, with steadily growing functionality (see Look'n'Stop.)
    An alternative would of course be a simple firewall + a² or SSM. ;)

I am no expert in browser plugins, so: is it really so easy to 'plug' a software unnoticed in _any_ browser? Doesn't this normally need some kind of 'confirmation'?

I'm looking forward to it. :)

14. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi _anvil,

In IE it is easy. Especially when using BHO's.
    Here is a list of known legit and spyware BHO's: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/bhos/
    If you want to check if you have any that you are not aware of, you can use BHODemon

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.