Outpost 2.5.370.370 question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

In Outpost Pro 2.5.370, if I uncheck the Stealth Mode option, shouldn't I then go to grc.com and scan and shouldn't it show mostly "closed" ports rather than stealth? Just noticed that I get "stealth" results whether I have the Stealth Mode option checked or unchecked, either way. Is this an OP bug? Or am I missing something else obvious that needs to be done to get "closed" port status on the scan? I do want stealth, but I'm just curious if this is a bug in Outpost...

2. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that all "stealth" mode in the OP options menu means is that your computer's IP will be hidden on the network it is running in. It has no bearing on how other computers will recognize your ports.

3. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

Stealth mode = DROP packet

Normal mode = REJECT packet

Difference: Reject sends back an ICMP reply saying CLOSED, DROP does not send a reply so the source times out and the scanning server assumes "NO PC PRESENT AT THAT IP WITH THAT PORT" whereupon REJECT means "PC IS THERE BUT THE PORT IS CLOSED"

Some walls have 113 port set to CLOSE no matter what, reason being that the IDENT service is required for some software in order for that given software to work correctly.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Are you accessing the Internet via a router? If so, this will be receiving the packets from the online scan rather than your PC - and it may be "stealthing" you instead. See the Online Scans - What to do with Open and Closed Ports FAQ for other possible issues with online scans.
    Sorry, Outpost does nothing to hide your computer's IP address (you need a proxy or anonymising proxy for that). Stealth performs as per Tempnexus' description.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nope, no router Paranoid... Just a cable connection to the internet with a software firewall. I can get "closed" status on scans when using Tiny if I want. But when I try the same in Outpost I just get stealth. I assumed it was just something broken in Outpost.

I'll take a look at that link also.. thanks...

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Hi Kerodo,

It a bug in Outpost. I answered your post in the Outpost Forum HERE

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks very much.. I"ll check your other post... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.