Outlook Express is Possesed!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by owe97001, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owe97001

owe97001 Registered Member

o_O o_OI do not know if this is a virus, I have tried to read everything here about Outlook Express, but this problem seems to be unique.
    I have a very unusual problem occurring when I try to access Microsoft Outlook Web Access. I have an account set up on my university server, and it works fine from any computer on campus, however . . . When I am at my home computer and I try to check my email- at first appearances it looks fine, I can check any new mail and read it just fine- but when I click on the reply button at the top of the individual message, instead of bringing up a blank message to the sender of the previous email, it brings up a new screen, the size of a new email message, but instead of a blank message the left half is the toolbar of my inbox, and the right half is the original email message- with the regular email buttons on top. (Reply, Reply to All, Forward, etc.) If I hit reply a second time, the same thing happens, but there are two toolbars right next to each other, and then the original message.
    See attached screen prints.
    On top of that, when I am at the regular Web Outlook Inbox, and I click on New to write a new message, nothing happens.
    I used to get 15 or more of those little "A runtime error has occurred. Do you want to debug? Object expected ";"" Errors every time I clicked any button anywhere on the page, I got so tired of that I disabled the script debugging in Tools>Intern o_Oet Options>Advanced
    I hope I have been specific enough.

Attached Files:

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Excuse me, aren't you talking about Outlook Web Access which is not the same as Outlook Express but a browser version, like Microsoft Exchange?
    I surfed on this site http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/435444 mentioning a vulnerability in that web form to compose new messages, which is not your exact problem, but there are links again to other interesting info. Digging deeper.
    Looks like it has to do with settings in your screen.
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?View=en-us&p=1&s=0&c=3&st=b&qu=%22outlook+web+access%22+settings&na=30 Lots of info here, still trying to find a settings info part.
    Depends on your windows and other software versions too, it might even be a setting on the server yiou're connected to.
    I don't use that system so it's hard to walk with you through settings and pages, hope other OWA users can jump in!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259321 in case you would need to reinstall the OWA, guess not, should be settings issue, looking deeper.

I have in IE the debugging out as it is not my problem if there are errors in web pages, only occasionally i would activate it to be able to warn the webmaster.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Good catch, Jooske.
    You obviously have much better eyes then I have. :)

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.