Outlook.com/Hotmail notifier

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Johnny123, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

For those who use Outlook.com and have it pinned to the taskbar in IE 10, you know that the icon shows a number when you have new email. If you are like me, however, you aren't always looking at that icon. I personally have had that number on the icon for an hour or so before I noticed it.

Anyway, I found a great little notifier by chance at heise-online. It flashes a pop-up by the tray for a short time and plays a sound which you can choose yourself if you don't care for the default. The icon also changes colour when you have new mail.

All the other things along this line that I have looked at were more than I needed, such as PopPeeper. It almost tries to act like a half-baked email client, and I was looking for something to just play a sound when new mail is there. You also do not enter any of your account data, like email address, password, etc. If you are logged in, it works.

Take a look at it here: http://thesz.diecru.eu/content/howard.php

2. er34

er34 Guest

That looks very interesting. Thanks for posting it :thumb:

Microsoft mails have long time been without such an utility. Unfortunataly, I am not sure of its privacy policy and how it handles and secures the traffic and the password you provide it, so I myself cannot 100% trust it

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

They are exactly also my concerns.

Second thing - it probably doesn't support DeltaSync so you will get notification only for incoming mails into your main inbox. So new messages in other folders probably (I haven't tested it) won't be displayed.

4. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

You don't provide any password or other account data. There's a Firefox addon that checks Hotmail and it works by using the login cookie. I suspect this works the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.