Outlook 2007 security risk?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by HURST, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi

Using Outlook2007 ATM as my email client and yesterday something very odd happened.

At 23.18 (local time), I received 3 messages, but they were Delivery Failure Notifications.

Here is an example (2 are the same but with a differente email address and a different subject)

It looks like some kind of spam message with a return receipt, has anyone seen this before?

(names, IP and email addresses edited by me)

The 3rd message had this text:

It had 2 attachment, 1 was a txt file:

And the other one was a *.msg file:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

HURST, I get the same type of message all the time on my business email account. If the From: is your own gmail account, it probably was spoofed. The Return-Path: can be spoofed as well and that's how you got the Delivery Failure Notification. Hopefully, you did not reply to the Return Receipt Request because if you did, the spammer now knows that your gmail address is valid and you'll receive more SPAM.

This line: Received: from tjklaptop (105-110-21-190.adsl.terra.cl [190.21.XXX.105]), if that's not your laptop, might tell you where it came from by doing a WHOIS on the IP Address. However, the entire email header can be spoofed too. Sometimes I receive emails directed to me, from me! In order to know that an email does not come from you, just give your PC a descriptive name via System Properties, if you haven't done so already.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I also have seen weird stuff like this occasionally, not often though. It usually makes no sense to me, and I wind up ignoring it, figuring that some server along the way burped or glitched, or someone is having some fun, or whatnot. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about anyway.....

4. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

I get this "undelivered mail" messages every single day, lots of them. Its annoying, but not harmful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.