Outlook 2007 & NOD32 Out of Memory?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by NWdev, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWdev

NWdev Registered Member

Running NOD32 (v3.0.566.0, 2734db) w/ Outllook 2007 Ultimate on Vista Ultimate...

Am getting the dreaded "The add-in 'ESET Outlook Plugin'... cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. ..." out of memory/system resources messages. Sometimes if I wait for the error dialog frenzy to stop, I can close them and close Outlook, but other times I have to reboot and/or use task manager to kill Outlook -- only to have the same thing happen a little later.

This has happened with Outlook'07 with both the 2.7 and 3.0 versions.

I've followed the various recommendations --
    repair Outlook
    uninstall NOD32, check registry for EMON in Exchange/Client addin (delete if there), reboot, open Outlook, check for errors (none), close Outlook, reinstall NOD32, reboot...
    (steps noted in the threads listed here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171234 )

Unfortunately it appears that even with repair/rebuild of the extend.dat of Outlook, NOD32's eplgOutlookEmon.dll* continues to be problematic. Perhaps the extend.dat is either corrupted by the NOD32 email scanning or Outlook cannot handle sending/receiving mail along with the scanning? Or, perhaps, as I'd seen somewhere else, there's a memory leak somewhere?

*I'm assuming the conflict is with the EMON dll since it was with version 2.7 -- the error message truncates the name to eplgOu~1.dll.

It appears the error is triggered when Outlook checks mail, though I'm not 100% certain of this since it often occurs when I'm working on something else (a different app). All mail is POP3, so no IMAP issue (that I know of).

Anyone have any other suggestions to try?

I'd like to use both programs, but really would like them to 'play nicely' together -- and definitely want to have email scanning of some sort going.

Also no other AV products installed aside from the Windows defender, UAC is on and the NOD32 was installed 'as an admin'.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Have you done any updates to Office? I just deployed a law firm office...Vista Biz, Office 2K7 setup on Small Business Server 2003r2. Eset AV 3.0 used on all the workstations/laptops. Didn't run across that issue at all. UAC is off on them though.

3. NWdev

NWdev Registered Member

No, no recent updates to Office 07.

Sounds like it may be a UAC thing?

Wouldn't think that Vista Biz/SBS2k would be that different than Ultimate in this regard (but who knows?).

Good to know though that the combination does work. Now just a matter of trying other things to get the two to 'play nice'.

Thanks for your response!

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I don't think it's a UAC thing...I was just at their office and I setup another two Thinkpad laptops....I ran the MS Office install and NOD install and installed their legal programs...before setting up the one users account and killing UAC.

NOD went on after I did all my Microsoft updates..which includes Windows and Office.

Should not be a difference between biz and ultimate...as far as MS Office programs are concerned.

5. NWdev

NWdev Registered Member

Thanks again for the note back.

Hmm, so if its not a UAC thing, perhaps its either a setting or sequence of install on my end...

My NOD installs were well after Office was situated, so I guess my next attempt may be to do an uninstall of NOD, reboot, check the usual suspects (registry), check that outlook behaves okay alone & close it, rename the extend.dat, turn off UAC, reboot, install NOD, reboot, then perhaps Outlook will be happier with the NOD plugin?

Last ditch I suppose will be to uninstall & reinstall Outlook as part of that sequence, but as could be expected I'd prefer not to do that.

Glad to hear though that installs are going well on your end. Shows there's still hope on my end! :eek:)

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.