Other security software forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Rasheed187, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don´t get it, currently there are lot of "general security" applications being discussed in the "Privacy Software" forum, I think it´s better if they were discussed in a forum named "Other security software", in the security software section.

I often forget to check out the Privacy Software section, because I associate it with Ad-spyware etc, not with system hardening tools like Samurai or Registry Monitors for example. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  2. dog

dog Guest

Re: Oher security software forum?

Hi Rasheed,

The other security software forum is really an overflow/catch all for 'security topics not covered in other forums'. Their isn't a clear line of distinction between the privacy forums and other security issues, like their is for the other sub-sections/forums. There is a little more structure in the privacy forums as they are sectioned into 'software', 'problems' and 'general' which allow threads to be placed with a little more direction. But we can't be moving threads from other security software forum to the privacy forums and vice versa, as it would only serve to confuse and litter those forum with re-direct markers, we only do so when there clearly is a proper forum for the thread other than where it was originally posted. But like I said there isn't a black and white distinction between the two, so the only thing I can suggest to you is to check both forums. The key thing to remember is that 'other security issues' is really intended as an overflow for 'security topics not covered in other forums' as the forum description prescribes.

HTH,

Steve

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Oher security software forum?

For the sake of discussion....would you mind giving some links in regards to a "lot of "general security" applications being discussed in the "Privacy Software" forum". While it's very seldom that we miss on the placement of threads to an appropriate Forum....most of the time it is clear cut where threads go. I would also agree that a tweaking of the Privacy Forum name might be in order. Heck....it's even getting to the point where even the AV\AT\AS folks stumble on clasifications due to the nature of the beasts coming down the pipe. While it's all crapware....it is prudent to keep it somewhat separated. That's where the challenge is today in regards to appropriate placement for discussion.

4. Rasheed187

Thanks for your comments,

I have an even better idea, why not just ditch the whole Privacy Software section, and make a new forum named "Other Anti-malware software" in the Security Software section? Because in fact ad/spyware and keyloggers are all malware.

And perhaps you can even make a second (new) forum in the same section called "Other security software", for all apps that are a bit hard to place in the other forums. :)

@ Bubba

For example these three threads, why are they in the privacy section, IMO they have to do with security. o_O Privacy software should be about spyware/adware, not about AV-AT-IPS. ;)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=32823
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=84372
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=86030

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks for the example links....duely noted.

6. Rasheed187

But what do you think about my idea?

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

We're discussing it here. There's actually a lot to consider, including entirely different ideas for what types of products might be combined and moved to a new forum section, so it may take us some time to figure out what we want to do there.

8. Rasheed187

Ok, thanks for considering. IMO there is a thin line between security and privacy, I don´t see why we need to have a seperate section, it´s a bit confusing. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.