Other programs like Returnil?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Scoobs, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Comodo has announced a forthcoming release of a returnil like product in a matter of weeks...

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well, I wasn't exactly waiting for the n'th Returnil, we have already so many of them : BaselineShield, DeepFreeze, PowerShadow, Returnil, ShadowDefender, ...
    All these simple boot-to-restore solutions are too limited in possibilities.

3. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Well it is retunril like, but typically comodo tends to throw the kitchen-sink at products so you get stuff like Defense+ which has all the hips features one can think of...

Given this track-record, this product might actually be more like your beloved FDISR product.... Surely you will be excited then....

4. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

:D interesting news, as I know, Returnil already released a foolish HIPS version last month in china.

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=328975781

5. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

why Anti-execute? XP limited account also has good effect, I think.

I am waiting for the MJ1011 to release a new virus. she said it can bypass all the ShadowXXXX/HIPS/AV.

http://hi.baidu.com/mj0011/blog/item/65cedc11b1615a15b8127b3b.html

I will test it with anti-execute when I got it.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah so am i.

If it's anything like that MFC app in the so-called Test Your Hips topic that generated nothing but a BSOD then her next one should really be funny.

I'm sure experimentation for those like that strokes their ego but really looks like to me all those new methods to cut down security apps and such is about run it's course for XP, but then they have to do something with their time right?

What i'm saying, if a user uses the layered approach as most Wilder's Members do then what one doesn't stop something new & unknown, surely another will. Theres simply too many numbers now in the security realm then used to be and they have made up incredible ground on malware by taking a page straight from the malware makers themselves and being creative & subtle.

The high quality latest innovations bear witness to that fact.

7. ErikAlbert

Who the hell is MJ1011 ? A good malware-writer ?
    Well I will tell you this : the good guys don't scare the good guys, that is the job of the bad guys.

Has MJ1011 nothing else to do, than breaking security softwares ?
    Why doesn't she write a security software herself, that can't even broken by herself ? Too difficult for her ?

8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello QQ2595,
    What you are referring to should not be considered a true HIPS implementation. It is simply an additional tool should it be needed that can offer added control, nothing more. Those who currently have mature HIPS implementations or strategies would not have need for it and we do not suggest otherwise.

The more important feature in the new series is the File Protection...

Mike

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Let's see, other programs like Returnil.

Returnil is shown a pretty decent leg up on the other virtual apps of it's kind so i'm not sure what we could compare it to that hasn't already been mentioned like Deep Freeze, PowerShadow, etc.

They all have their own respective strengths and limitations however those limits have been reduced to only a few now but some deem very important to them.

Returnil for me is ridiculously simple and easy to use while effecting a very SOLID security measure for the very novice all the way to the professional levels. Personally it boggles my mind how well this is been made to work, and works very well without issue. I like the Virtual Partition & Session Manager as my two favorite features.

I also absolutely admired Power Shadow and still do but since Returnil seen myself slowly but determined migrating only to it.

11. ErikAlbert

Oh, I thought it was a woman with a real high I.Q., she surely has a real dirty mouth.
    At the BBC they would say : this program contains strong language. ;)

12. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

Hello,

In fact, I was impressed when Returnil first brought turnning on protection on the fly. :thumb:

but I do not like the idea to bring boring anti-execute HIPS in the new chinese version. :(

13. Beto

Beto Registered Member

I don't understand, why isn't SBIE on this list too? To me they seem to operate similarly. What am I not understanding? (I am talking from the perspective of "functions").

14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

SBIE is not a boot-to-restore solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.