OT.Update.Was: Would FD-ISR have saved me ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Banshee, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Hi all,

The tech just called and told me that my pc was fine.all he had to do was to zeroing the disk.To zero the disk he said he had to pull out the hd and put it into another pc and zero it from there. :eek:

Wow.Is it not easier to use a software burnt on cd ? Something like Active Killdisk ?

It took him about 4 days to erase the disk.Ok my hd is 250 gigs but I didn't know it would take that long:blink:

I should get my pc back tomorrow.Fingers crossedo_O

P.S. Original thread was here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=983942#post983942

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sounds like he did something like a secure delete. Diskpart on the Windows CD I would think would have done the same thing, just not erased each sector of the drive.

3. Banshee

Booting from xp's cd was not possible so diskpart was out of the question,I think.I think u needed a software that kicked in right after reboot and way before Xp started loading.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I zero my harddisk of 74gb in 20 minuts.
    250gb divided by 74gb = 3.38 x 20 minuts = 68 minuts about one hour.
    Maybe he likes to bill you 4 days, rather than 2 hours. :)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thats weird. If the machine could do anything, it should be able to boot from the XP CD. Hmmm.

6. Banshee

As I said in my other thread, it was able to boot from the xp cd but then it would hang or crash. I remember inserting the spinrite cd and spinrite finished its no problem.Maybe spinrite kicked in before xp or acronis ? not sure

7. Banshee

I am not paying for that so I don't care much.:D

8. Banshee

Well,

no pc today either.Tech claims he zeroed the disk but the pc is not working yet.He has to look at the ram sticks.No comment.

9. Banshee

Hi,

This is turning into a joke.Tech says now the ram is busted and he also needs to replace a cable.He ordered the parts this morning.I need to call on Friday.:thumbd:

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

He sounds like my mechanic.:blink:

11. Banshee

Lol.I's sad and funny at the same time.In 2 weeks it will be 2 months this mess has started and I still don't have my pc back.

12. Banshee

Tech called a few hrs ago.He changed his mind.Ram was not busted but the Hd was.He's installing Xp now.I will get it back on Monday...so he said.

Go figure...

13. ErikAlbert

You probably get it back on Monday, to send it back on Tuesday. ;)

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would consider a different computer repairman, according to what you're telling us.

15. Banshee

I can't.When I called tech support they sent me this guy (their tech).If I want the pc fixed for free he'll have to fix it.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Oh, I thought you were paying and he was trying to make more money off you. As long as he doesn't hurt your pc, I guess you can afford to wait when it's free. :)

17. Banshee

Nope.The computer is 7 months old now.Siemens pays for it.Thank God.

>If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well, they have been trying to fix it for ever now (one month to figure out what was wrong).So I guess "If it ain't broke fix it till it is "is more appropriate.:D

18. Banshee

I hope not.It wouldnt surprise me tho

19. Banshee

I called the tech at 2pm my time to find out when he would come round with my pc. He didn't pick up the phone.

I called at 3pm my time.He didn't pick up the phone.

I called at 3.30 my time.He picked up the phone but told me if he could call me back in 15 mins or so.

He didn't call so I called him again after one hour.He said he would give me the pc when it will be ready. I reminded him that on friday he told me the computer was ready and I would get it back today.

He said yes but he forgot that ram+hd were busted and he's waiting for the ram stick to come in the mail.:mad:

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Maybe we should have Vinnie pay him a visit. :mad:

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Best wishes.

22. Banshee

No pc yet.Tech does not have the ram. He says he ordered it on Friday but he didn't get it in the mail yet.I thought they sell ram sticks all over the place.Maybe this is a rare and very precious kind.

I asked the tech if I will see my pc before xmas.He said he only had my pc for a week and a 1/2.LOL

23. ErikAlbert

LOL @ 1.5 week. Seems to become a neverending story. Good grief what kind of service is that. What next ?

24. Banshee

If I knew....I think the problem is siemens itself.Siemens wants to save money and hire "cheap" techies.Those repairmen are not as skilled as the "expensive" ones and are willing to work for little money and drive 100s of kms everyday.

Look, I posted here on wilders about my pc problem.Within a few hours quite a few pointed out what was probably causing my pc to crash.They got it right.

This tech man figured it out after what...10 days ? The funny thing is that nobody on wilders had the chance to see my pc "live" so to say .But the tech man had it at home with him and couldnt understand what was going on.

I think the tech belongs on the tonight show with J. Leno:p

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Fer cryin' out loud. I don't think you live in the US because you use the term Km's or I'd go down to Best Buy, get your RAM stick and overnight it to you. If I were you, I'd document all these delay's and the moment I got my pc back, I'd bring it to the attention of upper management at Siemen's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.