OSX snow leopard

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very nice
    then again you shouldnt need it use it much.
    someone who works at my college has lots of mac's
    he has had an older version of mac OS on one of his mac's for over 5 years and it works just as good as day one. no need to reinstall.

2. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

EULA's are not really legally enforceable - you are breaking Apple's rules but there is no law which you break. On the other hand if you try to resell/distribute/profit from said software then you do have to follow Apple's terms, but for private use you are free to do what you want with your copy, it just won't be supported by Apple.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Agreed 100%

You can do what you want for personal use, this is why cracks are perfectly legal (in the UK/EU for sure).

What would be illegal would be redistributing the results (cracked app), but perfectly legal to do what you want for personal usage.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

It's true that you can do whatever you want with software you legally purchased. However... no matter how you slice it cracks are illegal.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sure He is.

We use it when we have a firm decision and need Allah,s ( God,s ) help to carry out this. :) It just shows how serious I am in this matter.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t know about legal issues. But it,s totally inhumane and un-ethical to enjoy some person,s efforts without paying back any thing to him.

7. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Using cracks is a very different issue. What we're talking about is running a legal (meaning purchased) retail copy of OSX on hardware which Apple does not support officially. That's it.

Cracks are usually used to run software which is downloaded for free.

e.g. if I download a copy of OSX then that's illegal. Doesn't matter where I run it.
    If however I pay for a retail copy, but use a downloaded copy to install on a hackintosh (because it has some tweaks builtin) thats perfectly legal.

What nickr meant is things like no-cd cracks (where the developer forces you to keep the game cd int he drive), ripping dvd's for personal use etc are legal in EU/UK. Things aren't quite so happy in the US.

8. ambient_88

I thought he was talking about cracks that unlock the full functionality of a software without buying.

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Welcome Back,I see you rebonded very well congrats.:thumb:

10. NGRhodes

I cannot comment on the US, but in the EU/UK cracks are not illegal. Distributing, being in possession of a crack is legal, applying a crack to legally obtained software is perfectly legal (there are many legal reasons, compatibility, personal research, could be a game mod etc).
    Only thing that is illegal is redistributing the cracked/modified software.

11. NGRhodes

Agreed (just wish people would stop blocking adverts on websites (beyond stopping annoying popups)).

12. NGRhodes

Could be that, or a game mod, or a third party compatibility patch, all are classified as the same that is something that modifies software.

13. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The price seems pretty good but i'll stick with my XPS m1730 thanks (although is did cost almost twice as much).

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i really wish apple would sell OSX to anyone to install on there desktops and laptops. just think about how much more money they would make.
    comsumers getting annoyed with microsoft OS's having lots of issues would be surprised how well an OS can work. because it would cut in to microsoft sales microsoft would be forced to making windows faster,more stable and reliable. while at the same time apple would improve OSX.
    it would be great for the comsumer. prices would be cheaper and the OS's better.
    sure for the price and spec the macbook isnt a bad price. but not many people can afford £700 for a laptop. also genrally its hard to find somewhere to try it out before you buy.

15. ambient_88

If Apple starts allowing OS X to be installed on PCs, they would lose a big chunk of their revenue (from hardware sales).

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It can be argued. They might gain even more on software side.

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm considering a Mac as I like the design of their hardware as well as software.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would probaly get a mac if i had the cash.
    granted i could sell my desktop but i probaly wont.

19. ambient_88

It's true that it can be argued. Should Apple allow OS X to be installed on PCs, I imagine the price of a license going up. Currently, OS X retails for $129, which I believe they can do because you can only use it on a Macintosh. Also, Apple's control on the hardware allows them to tailor the OS to a specific hardware, which won't be as easy to do if they make it available to PCs.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    that is true
    plus apple cant use all the marketing BS. like atm they say you dont have to look for drivers. only because of there limited range.
    microsoft has alot harder job since they have to make sure almost all hardware works on it. which sometimes means searching for drivers.
    overall in stability and reliability OSX is better. but would the same be true if apple allowed it to be sold to anyone?
    vista took 5 years to create, it been out for over 1.5years and still has some major issues like MAJOR slow file transfers.
    quite alot of ict support questions are not that they dont know what to do but they tell windows to do something but it doesnt work. such as recycle bin options is meant to send the file to the recycle bin but when you delete a file it asks if you want to delete it perminatly.
    being an ict tecnican i dont mind users asking how to do something but i hate it when the user is doing the right thing but the OS doesnt do what its meant to.
    microsoft has the resourses to create a truly amazing reliable stable,fast and feature packed OS. yet instead they create a bloated slow unreliable OS that takes 5 years.

i remember windows 95. i had my old viglen pc running windows 95 working with no issues for 4 years. only reason i needed to reboot twice was because of a damaged enchanced music cd.
    that pc still works perfectly to this day.
    then of course my pc to replace that had windows ME and had nothing but problems.
    then next pc had xp with service pack 2.
    only issues have been third party programs such as webroot spysweeper,acronis true image etc.
    hopefully vista will have a second service pack soon.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  21. ambient_88

I believe Service Pack 2 will be released in the first quarter of 2009.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

quite awhile then
    hopefully MS will just release it as a huge bug fix and not add anything new.
    the feature set of vista is fine its stability,reliability and speed is the issue.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the main problem that i find a problem is the following:
    if i want to try say MS office, vista,linux consumer and enterprise OS, MS server OS etc i can visit there website and download a 30-60day trial to test it out before i buy. i cannot have a 60day trial of OSX.
    i could visit the new apple store in my closest city but i wouldnt get long before someone asks me to give someone else a go.
    £700 + is quite a big investment especiallyfor me a student. i would want a proper long trial before i would concider buying a mac.

24. ambient_88

If you're in a University you might be able to get academic pricing for a Mac. I know in my University all students qualify for academic pricing of computer hardware and software, which is really sweet.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hopefully i can get that pricing for going to college.
    shame about the office for mac pricing £99 for students.
    for windows i can get the student/home version of office for £70 for three computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.