OSX snow leopard

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    ive found a few links about OSX snow leopard.
    link 1
    link 2
    link 3
    main improvements:
    16TB ram support. for once software is ahead of hardware.
    fully 64bit.
    less space needed for the OS and applications.
    faster and light footprint.
    quicktime X
    Grand Central a new way of managing multiple cores and gpu's
    its meant to be released next year.
    im not a mac fan myself but this shows that apple is trying to make the OS lighter and faster. quite interested in what people think.

i just wish apple would make some cheaper macbooks and imac's around the £300-£500 price barrier
    its a shame you have to buy everything from apple and the base prices for everything. for £700 you could get a really quite decent laptop from dell with a seprate mobile gpu, decent amount of ram,large hard drive.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    One day, I'm gonna get me a mac - or steal one of my brother's.
    He's got three, so I don't think he'll notice...
    Mrk

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

My wife and I talked about Mac laptops prior to getting Dell. For almost the price of one Mac, we got 2 Dell Inspirons. We'd both love to have Apple laptops, but just can't justify paying what Apple charges.

Maybe some day if we have more money than we know what to do with, which isn't ever likely to happen.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

My next laptop will be a Mac by God,s will.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

How about specs? I've seen that for similar specs, Macs are not that expensive. If you go for the Dell XPS line, you might even find macs cheaper...

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

£700 base macbook
    2.1ghz intel core duo 2 800mhzFSB
    1gb ram, 1gb from crucial costs £15, guessinfg two slots for memory so that means taking out the current two x512mb sticks which means you need to pay £30 for 2x1gb sticks. still cheap.
    120gb hard drive
    combo drive cd/dvd, dvd reader NOT writer
    wirelessN card

we should compare it to a dell laptop as close as possible with specs.
    i would say ignore the screen size since i think a macbook should have a 15inch screen option.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop:

14.1" screen
    Core2Duo 2.1 GHz Processor
    3GB RAM (lowest option)
    320 GB drive
    Bluetooth
    Wireless "N"
    CD/DVD writer

$919

EDIT: If you add the 85 W/hr battery instead of the 56 W/hr, price goes up to $1088. Since Macs have better battery life (or so they claim), this would be fair in order to compare.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats roughly £468
    to make it more fair ill also quote the macbook base spec us price $1,099.00
    so the dell is $180 cheaper with 2gb more ram,dvd rewriter,bigger hard drive,0.8inch bigger screen.
    what external port does the dell have for monitors? vga?,mini dvi? dvi?
    since dell.com redirects me to the uk site what is the battery life of the dell?
    does the dell have a seprate graphics card or is it bog standard intel on board?

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I configured it with the integrated intel graphics (IIRC, same as the mac), but you can order an nvidia (and add up the cost). I believe battery life is less on the dell, even with the extended battery, but can't tell for sure.
    I believe video out is VGA.

Other Dell advantages:
    *more USB ports.
    *2-button mouse :D :D

Bottom line, Dell is cheaper with similar/better specs, BUT mac is not SO expensive either.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dont forget that for windows you would want to buy imaging software,HIPS etc. a mac has pretty much everything you need.
    would be nice if macbook had the option of a ati or nvidia graphics card. if they did i would concider buying a mac next.
    the price difference between a macbook and macbook pro is alot.

11. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Mac is nice, but if I buy one I'd still be running Windows until all Windows games are compatible with Mac OS X. I can live with a different set of applications (i.e. productivity), so I'm fine with that.

12. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

What kills me is that Apple computers these days use the EXACT same components a Wintel machine does - same chipsets, motherboards, cpu, hard disk, video card etc. Its juts a pc clone with better design, Apple logo and the MacTax.

And it runs OSX, which to me is 90% of its value. I have no doubt that if Apple were to allow me to run OSX on any compatible x86 hardware (like a Hackintosh does) they would lose out a huge %age of their sales and thus the gigantic profit margins on their hardware.

For the consumer this would be the best choice - you could run Vista/OSX/Linux all on the same hardware, just like you can run Vista on a Mac. Linux and Microsoft don't artificially retrict you from running their OS on other hardware and thus give the illusion of superiority. Many pc makers (Dell XPS, Sony VAiO, Voodoo Envy) make excellent hardware, comparable or better in design than Apple, yet we cannot run our choice of OS on them.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Heres a Smoking HOT! Notebook to drool over :p

http://203.56.127.51//TOPIC/product...P300_PSPCDA-00LOOD_Specification_Brochure.pdf

Product Overview
    Intel® Core™2 Duo T9400 (2.53GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business SP1
    17" WXGA+ 200NIT CSV Display (1440x900)
    4GB (2GB + 2GB) DDR2 (800MHz)
    640GB (320GB + 320GB) HDD (5400rpm) SATA
    DVD SuperMulti Double/Dual Layer Drive
    1Gbit LAN
    WLAN (802.11a/g/n)
    3x USB 2.0 (Sleep & charge) + 1x eSATA USB (combo)
    Other Software: Windows® XP Professional Media downgrade

This is pdf so you'll need Adobe Reader to view it

Price range is $2400 AUD

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey defcon,
    i completely agree.

15. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Do you get any discount for upgrades between versions of OSX ?

16. Arup

Arup Guest

And leave Linux:'(

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No chance ... Linux is like women, the more the better.
    Mrk

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the way apple does business means that there is only a certsin amount of configarations. apple supplys the drivers so no need to worry about finding drivers or unstable drivers. all the hardware works perfectly together.
    plus macs are always fast because they only put mid-hi end hardware in them. they dont sell a budget macbook with celoron processer and 512mb of ram.
    if for example apple sold OSX to dell to install on desktops and laptops would thete be any driver or anyother issues?
    anyone can buy windows and install it on almost any hardware. so you may find no drivers or unstable drivers for your hardware. millions of different configarations to make sure drivers and software doesnt conflict.

19. Chuck57

I don't know the ins and outs of Apple, but if somebody knew someone who ran an Apple OSX, could they get the disc and install it on an HP, Dell, Compaq, etc and run it or is there a license thing like MS? Maybe you couldn't upgrade the OS, but if you could install the software you wanted and used all the time, would there be a need to upgrade every year or so just to have the latest and greatest, which isn't always that great?

20. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Attempting to do this is illegal, it goes against the EULA (will look for it and past in this post when I find it)

Anyways I don't know how easy or hard it is to achieve this, I think there is some tweaking involved, hence the "hackintosh" term for this...

EDIT:
    see this
    Other link

21. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Couple of things:

I just bought a new Macbook and love it. It runs great and am running XP via bootcamp and as a vm with VMware Fusion (which I prefer over the Windows version).

Not going into the legalities, etc. but installed Hackintosh on a desktop and it ran great (yes, I do have an extra legal copy of OS X). I also know someone who runs it on a Dell laptop and they love it. Hackintosh can run on a multitude of PC hardware but it seems to run better on Intel mobos, etc.

There's a pretty good blurb on Hackintosh in the latest MacWorld magazine if you'd like to see specs. Also, do a search for Hackintosh on lifehacker.com and you'll find a good article about the process, performance, etc.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey InfinityAz,
    what spec of macbook?
    you might find this useful

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  23. Chuck57

That's about what I figured, concerning Apple software. I'm sure there would be problems, just as with running Vista on some non compatible computers.

24. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I guess that God is quite indifferent to your choice. lol :D

25. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Lodore,

Thanks for the link. Fortunately I found SuperDuper very early and have been using it. Works great, although slower than ATI or Paragon on Windows.

I bought a Macbook 2.4GHz and upgraded to 4GB myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.