OSX/Explloit.Smid B trojan

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by onetime, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetime

onetime Registered Member

I’ve had two objects quarantined by NOD32 ESS.

~Link removed~jar.php?id=2 :reason. A variant of an OSX/Exploit.Smid.B trojan
    Link removed~jar.php?id=1 :reason. Multiple threats.
    Could either or both have made their way onto the computer through either Java or adobe?
    I’ve submitted them both to ESET, if I delete them will there be anything left behind?
    Could any “damage” been done before the objects were quarantined?

Are there any questions I should be asking myself and any steps that can be taken to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

It's highly likely that they came courtesy of java. We're they resident on your drive when detected or caught by web access protection?

Look at running Firefox with the NoScript addon to block java and flash by default.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well the first one is a OS.X threat designed for Mac OS.X
    (I think according to the name it got), meaning it won't do any damage on your Windows PC wich I belive you using?
    But It's good it did get detected since I don't think you want it anyway;)

NOD32 is crossplatform so it will detect Windows, Mac and Linux malware.

The second one could do some damage if it wouldn't have got detected though.

BTW, I just saw that the OSX/Exploit.Smid.B Trojan got added in the 5031 signature update.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. onetime

onetime Registered Member

Using (PC) windows 7 home premium that’s why the osx variant surprised me. I didn’t get a notification of the items being quarantined, so they went unnoticed even though they were added on the first of April.
    I’ll definitely look into Firefox. I never had a need or use for java or flash but they’re “required” to access a government site.
    I’m glad it got detected and that they updated the signatures. This is the only thing able to make its way on other than a rogue AV attempt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.