"OSSS" (Online Solutions Security Suite) Beta is Out

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PaulBB, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Panda won't do that - they just haven't updated their Online Help for some reason.

2. Mihail Fradkov

Mihail Fradkov Registered Member

Please sorry for the delay in answering on this question.

OSSS: Free and commercial versions with the same protection

We could prove that we will provide two using ways of OSSS package (Security Suite) and the products, included to it at this moment - OSPD (Proactive Defense), OSPF (Personal Firewall).

One of the way - absolutely free, i.e. freeware. The second one - commercial licensing with a differently types and renewal periods of licenses.

Question: Will there be any restrictions on computer protection of the free version of OSSS?
    Answer: No. Actually, it will be the same application as a commercial. It will have a full set of protection functions, that can be configured and used. In other words a free version will have absolutely the same protection set as a commercial, and does not ceding it.

Question: What is the difference between free and commercial versions of OSSS?
    Answer: Commercial version will have an additional mode of the automatical rules creation, based on our special service.

Also:
    • Commercial version will be available as trial for all users.
    • Beta-testers, and some of the communities, and/or individual members will have a special "personal" licenses to use commercial versions for free.
    Automatical rules creation mode will be gradually introduced in the next 1-3 beta releases. In parallel with this, we are improving design and usability of the interface.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does the hips part of this prgram protect the whole regitry?thanks

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

5. Mihail Fradkov

Ofcourse, it protects whole registry. :)
    It controls binary operations with registry (hives operations) also.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I would like to know a few things about the Firewall module:

1. How it is on CPU Usage?
    2. It is light using heavy traffic, like P2P?
    3. Can I use only the Firewall without Proactive Defense module?
    4. Can I use only the inbound protection?

Thanks

7. Mihail Fradkov

Very low. It seems like you working on fresh system.

There is no decrease of speed with UDP-based protocols, P2P.

Yes, you can select "Custom" when you will install OSSS and disable "Proactive Defense" module. (You will able to activate it later in any time). If you already installed OSSS, you can select what actions in the system you want to control (if you disable all options, OSPD will be deactivated). Anyway, it is NOT RECOMMENDED to disable OSPD module. Why do you asking? If you afraid about CPU usage or any stability problems - there is no any decrease of computer's performance, and the system is REALLY STABLE. :)

Yes. You will need to create one rule in the "Default rules" group. This rule parameters are: "Allow all outbound connections by any ptorocol to any port". But this is NOT RECOMMENDED. Your system will NOT be protected from modern hackers attacks that are targeted to client-based applications (browsers, image viewers, video players, office software, etc). For example, you will visit some legal site like cnn.com and your system may be hacked by exploiting any client-side application (flash player, browser, acrobat reader and so on). After exploiting your system (because you disabled OSPD module), downloader will be able to make back-connect (because you disabled outbound protection) and do anything with your system (install bot/rootkits, spam, etc). So, it's better to use full protection.

Why do you want to disable outbound protection? Probably, we will advise better scenario for protecting your system.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm asking this because some firewalls use a lot a of CPU while using P2P, like Outpost and OnlineArmor, and even when is no traffic in or out...
    In this aspect Comodo Firewall is great, but I don't know how effective it is...

The reason why I want to disable the HIPS feature is because I found them all annoying.
    I just prefer Behavior Blocker...

Also because it is annoying and most time useless...
    At least you have a learning process to avoid all the starting alerts?

9. Mihail Fradkov

The next beta will contain first version of "Presets Manager" (technical name), which solve some problems that you described as "annoying questions". Following versions of "Presets Manager" will be improved (we have a very big plans for the future), you'll see soon (1-3 monthes) what we are doing. :wink:

Currently automatical learning mode is not introduced. Moreover, this feature probably will not be introduced, because it is absolutely unsecure. We will solve the "annoying questions" problem in other, more secure and professional way.

Just for information: for example, one of the well-known leading security package contain this feature, it automatically allow to start any driver in the system after running one legit, signed application, which drops the driver and start it. It's not required to say, that after this "learning" your system is not protected at all from any type of rootkits. BTW, this security package have a lot of scores at matousec.com (on the top of the list), because of testing technics imperfection. It's marketing "we have a lot of scores and don't annoy users with questions"... but you didn't protect them too, tests are passed only in specified pre-environment.

Additionaly: there is no any warranty that your system is clean, when you setuped security software and enabled "automatical learning mode". As we seen on OSAM users, a lot of computers are infected and contain different types of malware and rootkits... parallely with antiviruses, firewalls and other security products. So, when you uninstalling one and installing another, no one will give a warranty that your system wasn't infected before. (BTW, our "Presets Manager" will check this :))

(I'm copying TS answers)

10. Mihail Fradkov

Installation Package Updated: 08-Jun-2009 14:25
    Added support for new kernels

11. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

hellooo mihail

there is an ability to add a sandbox fonctionality to the next version also an advanced anti-keylogger

and what's the delay to realase the next beta version :D

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Mihail,

Thanks for your support... :)

I will try the last version. Maybe this installation works on my system...

13. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I will surely try out this suite, once it comes out of beta.
    I will follow this thread from time to time.

I wish you luck, Mikhail.
    :D :thumb:

14. blacknight

You can try it now. I do it. It's stable, also if is sometimes slowly in opening folders or partitions. Use a virtualising or a sandbloxing sw if you want to be fully sure.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I installed it yesterday and I like it.

Works in a very low system level, use almost none CPU, is stable, but it should use less memory...

I used the Proactive Defense module, but after some time I disable it because I found it annoying like all HIPS, as always...
    Keylogger protection didn't worked.
    Maybe I will try some of its features on final release.

About Personal Firewall, it seems to lack some features described on website, but looks simple to use.
    I would like to can change the main rules of it, and not use it only based on applications...
    What means "Learning Mode" in OSSS? I'm asking this because the it continue to show me alerts...
    I still like to see an option to enable/disable the inbound/outbound protection.

One feature that would be great is a notifier or an auto update for new available versions... :)

I will, for sure, try it again on final release... ;)

Keep going... :thumb:

16. blacknight

17. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

I'm glad to read this!
    "Learning modes" are some kind of "automatical allow all signed started" and "grabb it to the database permissions for the next other times requested". svchost.exe, services.exe, explorer.exe,... full allow to start processes and more. Some malwares exploit these Windows filesystem and other signed.

I'm thinking "allow" all the "clean" (it's clean for sure?) system for the first and restrict all the "new" itsn't a valid and strong solution. Because the problems are inside the own system when interacts with something strange and its behavior.

I'm not a "proof", of course, only a home user, but I'm very excited for the objective you said and how to implement it.

Thanks & good luck.:)

Zen

18. blacknight

Very good work, boys. I tested it with Comodo Leak tests and I had 320/340 scores. The previous beta had 260/340 scores.

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool well done:) how manny servicess run for this tool?how big is the installer?cpu usage?thanks

20. blacknight

The installer 12,4 MB, CPU as the others HIPS, RAM and services sorry, but I had to restore my previous system configuration for other reasons.. I'm not using OSSS now.But if you have a disk imaging or a snapshot sw, try it.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks

22. Mihail Fradkov

04-Jul-2009 at 06:30 morning :) new beta-version - OSSS v1.0 Beta was released.

News, change list, updated list of the known issues and our plans for improving OSSS will be published later, in 1-2 days.

Currenty I can say shortly:
    • dramatically improved user interface, most changes for action request windows
    • self-protection module partially included
    • DNS-cache viewer
    • WAN-interfaces support was improved (ADSL/ISDN-modems, PPPoE/VPN-connections)
    Full changelog will be posted soon.

It's very important to read about uninstallation process - in this beta-version is requires user's actions for self-protection disabling.

P.S. For users, who uploaded new kernels with KernelChecker at Saturday-Sunday: please, reupload them again. They was deleted because of a small technical error.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i tried to install the program but it failso_O
    xp2?is it compatible with xp2?thanks

24. Mihail Fradkov

Yes, it is compatible with XP SP2.
    Please follow instructions

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.