OSS Selctor boot problems (vista)

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by adrichardson, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrichardson

adrichardson Registered Member

OS Selctor boot problems (vista)

I recently decided to update DD 10 to the latest build (I installed it in Vista and ran the OS Selector installer). However, as soon as I rebooted it refused to boot into Vista, giving a disk read error every time. I ran the boot fix utility from the Vista CD, and a full checkdisk, both of which reported no boot problems. The drive was fully readable in XP (which still booted from OS Selector), and OS Selector detected Vista as a valid installed OS.

I reinstalled OS Selector, but still got the disk read error when I tried to boot into Vista. Fortunately I was able to boot into Vista after restoring the MBR via TrueImage, and uninstalled DD10 and OS Selector. However, on rebooting I still got an error (OS Selector attempted to load, then couldn't find any OS). I reinstalled OSS, then uninstalled via the boot CD, and was able to boot into Vista again after restoring the MBR.

I think a full manual uninstall would solve the problems, but I don't know how to go about it (I've deleted all of the bootwiz directories bar one, which is protected).

Every time I reinstall OSS I get the same disk read error from Vista (goes away if I restore the MBR, but this breaks OSS).

I'm also getting an MBR error 3 message when I boot without OSS installed, so I know there's leftovers that the uninstaller misses.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received! (Other than a full reformat, obviously!)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. paulhk88

paulhk88 Registered Member

I have one drive (160GB) with only Vista in partition 1. Partition 2 is data and partition 3 is empty - for XP (to be installed later). All partitions in NTFS. Installed DDS 10 in Vista - no problem. Installed OSS and re-booted - no OS recognised by OSS. Any ideas?

3. adrichardson

adrichardson Registered Member

If you disable OSS, does Vista boot? After my experiences, it looks like installing it in Vista is a bad idea, and you're better off just booting from the CD and installing it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.