OSS and Windows Vista Beta

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by White94Cobra, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White94Cobra

White94Cobra Guest

I am attempting to install Windows Vista beta 1 on a machine that already has WinXP Pro installed with no luck. Here's my setup and what I've tried:

Two SATA drives, SATA1 is 72Gig WD Raptor, SATA2 is 300Gig Maxtor
    SATA1 is setup as three partitions - 1st 7meg Dell diagnostics, 2nd 68gig NTFS WinXP, 3rd Dell recovery
    SATA2 is setup 1st partition unallocated (for Windows Vista install) and 2nd partition NTFS.

WinXP is installed on SATA1

I've tried every combination I can think of with no luck. OSS will not see Windows Vista as an OS option. I even uninstalled OSS, disabled SATA1 in the BIOS, installed Vista Beta on Partition 1 of SATA2, re-enabled SATA1, installed OSS. OSS only sees the Dell diagnostic and WinXP as bootable OS's.

2. Suntzu-Master

Suntzu-Master Registered Member

Hi, Did you tried to have only the Vista Partition active on your first HD (BIOS boot enumeration sequence)?

To be 100% sure set active then reset the MBR on your HD.

3. Channy

Channy Registered Member

hi, im also trying to install ms vista beta, but im very new to using "acronis partition expert"

i have two hard drives:
    (c:/)(NTFS) 80gb, which has win xp pro
    (f:/)(FAT32) 80gb, which is just used for my multimedia stuff

ive used partition expert to partition my f: drive and created an NTFS drive (9gb) out of it. but when i go onto the setup on vista, it says that my drive isn't enabled in my bios settings

how do i enable my partitioned drive, so that it's recognised by the vista setup process?

In addition, i cannot seem to partition my c:/ drive, i have about 12gb left and still i cannot reduce the size and create a partition drive, with the 12gb left. o_O

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Channy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

We haven't tested our software with Windows Vista and cannot provide any infomration concerning any issues since this version of Windows is not released yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Suntzu-Master

Suntzu-Master Registered Member

Hello

I have Both "WindowsXP Pro x64" and "W2K3 Enterprise x64"
    on my computer and that are running very well.

I have also "WindowsXP Home", "W2K3 Enterprise", "DOS 7.0" and "Linux".

However, I have installed OSS after that all of my partitions were created.

here after my system H/W :

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    2 GB of RAM.
    ASUS A8N-SLI DeLuxe.
    2 WD RAPTOR 74GB / 10000 RPM (JBOD) - SATA - / SII Softraid-5
    2 MAXTOR 6B200MO - 200GB / 7200 RPM (RAID-0-STRIPING) - SATA - NVIDIA-RAID.
    1 HITACHI DESKSTAR 250GB / 7200 RPM ATA (used by True Image as protected backup zone).
    2 ASUS DVD burner.
    1 TDK DVD burner.
    1 PLANAR LCD 19'' 1280*1024-DVI.
    1 SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS with I/O-Drive.
    1 CASE THERMALTAKE KANDALF.
    1 POWER SUPPLY THERMALTAKE 680 W.
    1 ATI FireGL 5100.[/I]

You need to know that Windows needs to have the boot partition always on your first bootable drive then you can install the OS (\Windows\...) on another drive, However, by experience I will advise you installing your Windows OS boot and system inside the same partition.

With Linux there is two ways that can be used with an OSS and when installing LINUX with an OSS like ADD OSS then you will have to install LILO or GRUB using a mode called ROOT MASTER BLOCK that will not overwrite your current OSS MBR based.

One thing that you could try is to use ADD to copy your "Vista" from one disk drive to another and then change the BOOT.INI in order to have the right disk/part path .!

Hope that could help you. :ninja:

6. random0000

random0000 Registered Member

The operating system should not have to be released for it to be supported. The beta has been available for a while now and there are plenty of other products for Vista that can be tested or review now.

Also at the bottom of the boot manager it mentions "Special support for unknown systems". What is this special support and can it be used to work with Vista?

P.S. I just downloaded the eval and it seems like a great product. I like the full graphical interface. Alas - I was going to purchase it since I did want to try Vista outside of Virtual PC (yuck), but if it doesn't work with it, I will have to hold off for a while.

7. ronandex

ronandex Registered Member

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello random0000,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that the "Special support for unknown systems" feature means that you can use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in rescue mode (booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media) on a machines where unsupported operating systems are installed.

Actually, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 was not tested with Windows Vista and it does not support 64-bit operating systems at the moment. This feature will be certainly implemented in future, but I'm avraid that the exact time frame is not available yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.