OS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    I was wondering what the biggest difference is in windows Me and XP is?I'm just curious because I've never used any but ME and i've never seen XP and when i get my new computer it will have XP on it.Is there a big difference?will i need to learn alot of new things?i know it seems like a silly question but I'm just now mastering Me :D
    thanks
    rita

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Rita,

Maybe you can find some thoughts in this thread:
    Newbee asking XP advice for friend

I started that thread some time ago.

I myself still run W 98 SE
    I guess there will come a time that I too have to learn XP for myself..... :rolleyes:

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks FanJ
    i'm going to go read that thread.have a good night :)
    rita

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Rita,

If your computer is capable, XP is soooooooo much better you won't believe it. The oldest computer I have successfully run it on was a Mobile Intel Celeron 500 MHz laptop with 128MB of ram. It was somewhat sluggish but once stripped of all the eye candy, it was somewhat useable. Too much hard drive swap file (page file) access though. RAM is the biggest consideration. Whatever you have, get MORE. 256 MB is the bare minimum. 384MB is Okay. I've used it with 512MB for quite some time and worked very well. But XP really spreads its wings at 1GB. The difference between 512MB and 1GB is noticeable. Recently, I've moved to 1.5GB and completely removed the page file. It is very nice. :D

CPU wise, I would say anything over 1GHz will be more than adequate except for fancy video games.

I would go for XP Pro as well, but home would be far better then ME also.
    Hardly ever any crashes and you get to use all these great new security programs that only work on XP. The NTFS file system is also much better than the old FAT. Too many improvements to count!

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I use 512 mb on mine. Seems to be a sweet spot for XP. I did read if you use more ram, try to get one stick to eliminate any problems.

Just a another useless fact! :)

8. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Ronjor,

It is a useful fact! Try to get as much RAM on as few sticks as possible.
    It is especially important on the newer computers with Dual Channel RAM. Single channel systems are not as sensitive to more sticks. I have 3 sticks in a 1.6 GHZ box single channel, no problems. Unless you go for the super high performance RAM (not worth it) than it is the best upgrade you can make for XP.

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Devinco
    thank you for replying.from what ive read i think i'll like xp.and i know more ram is essential,i have far to many progs. for 128 ram and also i'd like to have some progs. like prevx that you cant run on ME so i'm really looking forward to getting my new computer even if i have to learn more new things--i enjoy learning,it just takes time .
    rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.