OS Selector screwed me over

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by otis1985, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otis1985

otis1985 Registered Member

Hi.... heres the scenario:

i installed windows server 2003 web edition on a 10 GB ntfs partition(c:\). After that, i installed the disk manager suite along with the os selector (i like the way it looks btw :p). Then i installed windows xp professional, on its own ntfs partition (d:\) and installed disk manager suite with it, and used the recover/update option with the os selector to successfully find the newly made XP partition.

that it did. but when i went to install directx 9.0 on windows XP (d:\) the setup kept crashing... i booted into windows server 2k3 web (c:\) and tried to install directx and it was fine. so i assumed directx install didnt like the fact i was installing it on the d:\. So, i tried moving the c:\ to the second half of the drive and setting the d:\ as active (hoping it would change the drive letter to c:\ and rebooted, and now it wont come up with the os selector at boot, it just goes right into windows XP, but before i can log in, it seems to freeze or something... it just says "Windows XP Professional" with the logo and blue background, but it wont pop up the login.... i tried ctrl+alt+del to get into the old style login, but it doesnt work.

I am now limited to running knoppix off a cd, and i have no clue on how to get my partitions back to order.... what can i do from knoppix to fix the problem so i can properly boot into both OS's again? i could use a linux version of the program, but you dont have one... shame on you....

2. otis1985

Also, i tried booting xp pro in safe mode, but no luck there either... just froze like described before.... If i could just get into windows i could use the recover/update option, and change the other partition back to active..... but i cant o_O o_O

3. otis1985

ok, ive installed windows server 2003 enterprise as well, and it works, i havent checked to see if web edition boots still, but my xp wont... ignore the problem described above, the problem now is that its trying to load a acronis script that isnt there.... and then it freezes at login.... how can i get it to stop trying to load the script that isnt there?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello otis1985,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

The problem is that you shouldn't change the letter of the system partition, otherwise the system will not boot. Currently, the only thing you can do is to perform a repair installation of Windows XP. Also please note that if you use Acronis OS Selector and install new operating system you need to perform the steps described in the User's Guide (Chapter 8, point 8.2.3).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.