OS Selector Question and Linux (Ubuntu 8.04)

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by capatt, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capatt

capatt Registered Member

Hello
    This is a question about OS Selector and Linux (PCLinuxOS). I currently have a triple boot system, with the boot loader configured with Easy BCD:

C:\WinXP SP2, with Linux on ext3/swap/ext3
    D:\Vista SP1
    E:\DVD
    F:\RAID 1

The linux installation has Grub installed in the first ext3 partition, not the MBR, so it boots via chaining.

First, I want to install OS Selector and get that properly configured. Then, I want to install Ubuntu 8.04 on the D:\ drive (keeping Vista). I want to use OS Selector because when installing GRUB to a second hard drive (other than the boot drive), it won't correctly install to the partition and cannot be chainloaded properly by EasyBCD or any other bootloader (according to EasyBCD support in their forum).

Can I use OS Selector to install Ubuntu to the second drive (D:\), or detect it after installation when I make its ext3 the bootable partition?

Thanks

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

capatt:

Are you going to keep PCLinuxOS on the primary hard disk? If so, why don't you install Ubuntu and direct the installer to put GRUB on the existing ext3 Linux partition used by PCLinuxOS? The installer should detect the existing GRUB installation and simply add a few more lines to the menu.lst file for booting Ubuntu. You will end up being able to choose either PCLinuxOS or Ubuntu from the GRUB menu.

Use the Ubuntu alternate install CD, which is text-based but will give you more control over the installation process. Just as a standard precaution, make a backup copy of your current /boot/grub/menu.lst file in case anything goes wrong and you need to re-enter the boot stanzas for PCLinuxOS.

I know that I didn't answer your question about OS Selector; just giving you an additional choice to consider.

3. capatt

capatt Registered Member

That's actually well worth considering and I think I'll try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.