OS Selector problem with 2 partitions of XP SP2

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by justhch, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justhch

justhch Registered Member

Pardon me if i may seem novice, I have been working on this problem for a while, though.
    I'm having a problem using the OS Selector when using 2 instances of windows XP Pro SP2 (installed using a slipstream CD) on separate primary partitions. The problem is as follows: Initially, the OS Selector only sees one instance of XP. I then tried to detect an OS on the second partition. It finds it ok. However, going back to the original OS selector screen, selecting the first instance takes me back to the regular, non-Acronis boot loader where i again have the option to choose either XP instance. If i go back to the OS selector, the second instance of XP listed takes me to an error screen. Sorry, i dont remember exactly what it said, something like "NTCRL(maybe?) cannot be found. press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart."

I've tried 2 ways, both ending up at the same result. First I've tried installing OS Selector after I installed both windows instances. This didn't work, so I formatted the 2nd partition and tried again, while OS selector is still installed. I tried to follow the directions in the manual, however, when I get to the step where OS selector is supposed to recognize the installation after reboot, the OS selector screen just shows up as usual, showing one XP instance. I access this, and continue to the normal Windows XP setup wizard. same results.
    If anyone has any idea what I am doing wrong please let me know. I'm using an SATA 300GB HD, I'd appreciate any help I can get.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The error you get is possibly NTLDR missing. Anyhow, what I suggest might be worth trying is --

Deactivate (if activated) OS10

Boot using your XP CD - choose console mode and type fixmbr. A warning message should pop up complaining about a non standard boot sector - accept the warning.

Once the remade boot sector has happened then type bootcfg /scan after the utility finds each instance of XP add it to the XP boot manager.

Reboot the system and choose your default OS partition, then reactivate OS10 -- it should then pick up your two partitions.

Colin

3. justhch

thanks Bodgy, that the exact error message i got. I will try what you said.
    I now also remember a strange thing that happened after the first time i tried it. Right after I installed OS selector, after the repartitioning of the HD for OS selector partition, when i booted into windows i got an error message from OS selector that says "Cannot get exclusive access to hard disk drives. Make sure that windows computer management console, or any other software that locks the hard disks, are not running." This is right when i entered windows so of course i didnt have the management console open, and im not sure what other program it could be talkign about. It also shows my other partition as having 0kb free space. so thats why i reformatted and tried again.

4. justhch

colin,
    I tried your method and nothing has changed:'(

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello justhch,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please boot up from the Windows Bootable CD, then go to the Recovery Console (the
    first Repair option you come to).

From the command prompt please type:

FIXMBR C:
    FIXBOOT C:
    COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM C:\
    BOOTCFG /rebuild

After that, please reboot your computer.

If this does not help then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.