OS Selector not recognizing 2nd OS

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by E.Coli, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E.Coli

E.Coli Registered Member

OS Selector not recognizing 2nd OS updated boot problem

History:

I have a raid 0 hdd setup that I split into 2 partions C & D and installed XP Pro on both partitions. I would boot up and select which partition I wanted to use and bam everything worked fine. Time goes bye and something ends up corrupting my OS on the C drive (direct x coruption and other things) I am advised the only way to fix it is to reinstall the OS. So I reinstall XP pro on the C drive go to boot up but there is no selection screen :( So I talk to a few people and one recommends OS selector to fix the problem. So I buy the Disk Director Suite and and install it as well as OS selector. I open up the Detection wizard and select the D partition and it tells me there is no OS on the D partition. I can see the folders and files on the drive everything is still there like before the D drive never changed.. What am I missing anybody?

HELPo_O

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  2. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

I think OS Selector only detects OSes that have reference in the boot.ini.. Im not familiar with raid 0, but only know that if the array becomes corrupt.. it is not recoverable, but if it was just an OS that becomes corrupt, the other may be ok...

If you have reinstalled an OS, the boot.ini will be new, with no other reference, maybe if you add the locaiton of the second in, it will detect it...

3. E.Coli

E.Coli Registered Member

Well I restored my original boot.ini and ntldr files and now it seems to work... everything was fine since saturday night and and through monday night. Tonight I get home turn on my computer and I get a screen that says Acronis OS Selector Loading... Cannot find configuration file ..hit enter to reboot.... The only thing I did last night was defrag my hard drive.. Any Ideas on how I can get back into my system and off my wife's computer :rolleyes:

4. E.Coli

E.Coli Registered Member

Oh forgot to mention I also unplugged eveything but the monitor in case I was experiencing a driver problem, but to no avail same problem :(

5. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

What did you use to defrag...?? Im sure ive used diskeeper on a multiboot and it killed my system.. think it did something to the mbr.. i cant remember... you may be able to use the scronis recovery cd to re-install/re-enable OSS again...

6. E.Coli

E.Coli Registered Member

Yes I use Disk Keeper to defragment the HD. Never had a problem before. Anyways so far I have booted to the XP CD and went in to repair executed the fixmbr command. And now I am back to square one again (but at least I can access my computers first OS). SO any ideas on where I should go from here o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.