OS-Selector: Booting from 2nd disk

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ProblemChaser, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProblemChaser

ProblemChaser Registered Member

This is the config:
    The computer has two disks.
    The first disk has two primary partitions: 1=WinXP-Pro (Active) 2=Data
    The second disk has only one partition. It had Win2K on it.

I installed OS-Selector and all seemed fine.

I wanted an exact copy of WinXP-Pro (from the first disk) on the second one, replacing the Win2K.
    First I deleted the Win2K reference in OS-Selector (shouldn't have done that?).

Then I used True Image to make an image of the first partition on disk1 and restored it to the first partition on disk2.

After the reboot OS-Selector did not show this second WinXP on disk 2 and whatever I tried, I could not make it appear.
    So I de-installed OS-Selector and installed it again, but without effect.

How can I make this work?

Thanks

2. aben4rent

aben4rent Registered Member

try booting from the second drive by making it your primary master

3. ProblemChaser

ProblemChaser Registered Member

That will probably work -did not try it yet- but the goal here is that it becomes a multiboot machine. Swapping the disk cables everytime is not acceptable.

I wonder if Windows can be boot from disk 2. I suspect that one or more of the boat loader files directly addresses physical disk 1 to read information from. That would explain why the boot process crashes half-way.

However, I will try to switch them once to check if the info on the second drive is correct. Thanks for your reply.

4. aben4rent

aben4rent Registered Member

just try it to make sure that the copy of winxp youve installed in the second disk is running properly if it is then the problem might be the os selector

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.