OS Selector 9.0 Reinstall does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by JohannesH, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohannesH

JohannesH Registered Member

Hi!

I have installed Disk Director Suite 9 (latest build) and also OS Selector 9.

The following config worked OK for some month now:
    First Disk: 3 Primary NTFS Partitions (Windows XP Prof. OS Partitions)
    Ext. Partition with 3 more NTFS log.drives and 1 FAT32 log. drive where OS Selector was installed.

The setup was done in the way, that 2 of the primary WinXP partitions where hided against the third (for all 3). That means when booting partition 1, partition 2 and 3 were hided, when booting 2, 1 and 3 were hided etc.

Recently I discovered that the time from the first message from OSS "Working, please wait" (translated from german) until the OS selection menu appears has grown dramatically. Before this it took some seconds, and now it was some minutes!!! I tried this some more times but always it took some minutes, no error message. After booting WinXP was running just normal.

So I decided to reinstall OS Selector. Before I started, I checked all partitions with chkdsk and I let run the Maxtor test utility (Full read only test) on the drive - all without an error.

Next step - Reinstall OSS:
    a) Install from bootable media: I choose "custum installation" and tell OSS to install into the FAT32 log. drive within the extended partition (as it was before). At the end when OSS is actually writing to the disk I receive errors:
    "Error writing sector xxx" with different sector numbers.

b) Install from within WinXP: I choose the same installation options and at the end I do not get the "Error writing sector xxx" message but it simply hangs and does not finish. Even Task-Manager cannot abort the process.

I have multiple times deleted, created and formatted the log. drive where OSS should get installed but no change.

Interesting: At the end I ran out of ideas but I need this machine and must boot the 3 WinXP partitions. So I gave it a try and did exactly the same with OS Selector 8.0 (install from bootable media). And this installs OK and so I am now able to boot my 3 Windows partitions. I even tried now one more install of OSS 9 over the now working OSS 8 (same situation as I originally upgraded from OSS 8 to 9). But again "Error writing sector xxx".

What is going on here?
    Any ideas?

Thank you
    Johannes

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Could you please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will investigate your partition layout and disk state and try to provide you with the solution for the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. JohannesH

The EMail with attached "report.txt" is on the way.

Thank you for your help!
    Johannes

4. JohannesH

The problem is fixed now!

Acronis support via email was very helpful with this problem - Thanks.

To make a long story short: The real source for the problem was not the disk drive 0 where OSS9 always told me about sector write errors during installation. It was drive 1 which seems to have a "strange" problem which I could not discover in detail till now.
    But as soon as I removed drive 1 from the system OSS9 installation worked OK as before.

Johannes

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Johannes,

Glad to hear you have solved the problem. I couldn't give you any advice here on Forum because the report was needed to analyze the problem. Hope there will be no more problems with Acronis software for you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.