OS out of date warning

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bob278, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob278

bob278 Registered Member

I keep getting warnings that my OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) is out of date. I understand and appreciate the warnings, but they go too far.

There are several optional updates, or updates for software I don't have (Office 2007 for example) that trigger this warning.

Is there any way to select updates to be ignored so this message does not come up? For now it is really useless as I don't want to install updates I don't need and it is always on.

2. Waterfox

Waterfox Registered Member

Go to advanced setup - tools - system updates and choose no updates. Done!
    This is if you have version 5.0 installed.

3. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

Unrelated to ESET in particular, but lurkers should be aware that even though you don't have Office 2007 installed, these patches may apply to older versions of Office that have converters for opening and 2007 style files (docx, xlsx) or the document viewer. Even though you think you don't have 2007 installed, you might want to apply those patches just to protect yourself. YMMV.

4. bob278

bob278 Registered Member

Thank you both. I will download version 5. I'm very satisfied to use Outlook to remind me to check weekly for updates and getting what I need manually.

I understand what you are saying, Oswald, but I will wait until I see messages about conversion. I saw one recently when I tried to open a file created in 2007. I was prompted to install a Service pack to Office 2003 and I haven't seen any more message about that.

When I had the 32-bit version of Windows 7 on a previous computer, Service Pack 1 gave me fits with hanging on update and after installation. I had to back it out twice and reinstall before it worked right. I don't install anything I don't see a real need for anymore, including things like Silverlight (don't even know what that is).

I really appreciate both of you taking time to answer my question.

5. piranha

piranha Registered Member

An update AV with a Windows unpatched dont result with a safe pc.

Eset NOD32 and ESS users asked for this notifications, thanks to Eset !!

Just set windows update notification to "critical" (default ??) and you wont be notified for optional update, for less than "critical" ones.

6. bob278

bob278 Registered Member

Thanks. That's just what I did. I don't mind warning messages that matter. What bothered me was that I got the message for everything so it didn't really tell me when something I NEEDED was available. I ignored it and just checked for important or critical ones every week. I now expect that I won't have to check manually any more. The way version 5 handles it is far superior to how it was in version 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.