Order the Windows Security Update CD

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Marianna, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

next pic is of the patches themselves.

Options of Installing Updates.
    Seems pretty thorough and straight forward to install via the GUI instead of 'browse' and installing each individual Patch. :)

Once again, even though the option to install the "Rollup" and "WMP" seems available to me, I am up to date!!!!

Just couple screenies to show features of CD.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

2. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Thanks for the pictures of the cd. I got an email on the 19th that my order was shipped, and I still haven't gotten it.

3. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Guess they're sending them via the moon :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2004
  4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I ordered February 19 and a friend here in Hawaii ordered several days later after I told him about the offer and he got a confirmation that it had shipped on March 15 and I still had no confirmation of shipping date even though I ordered before he did. :(

I called Microsoft Monday and their automated system said it had never heard of my order! So, I spoke to a customer rep who had a terrible time locating my order. Evidently MS messed up a lot of the early orders. She said mine had just been "picked" on Monday for the order to go to their warehouse and that meant it would ship two-three days later. She said MS ran out of the first batch and has now got a second batch and until they made the second batch they weren't sending any out. (Thus the long wait for some of us). She also told me that for me or her to check the status of the order that the first 0 in the order number must be dropped! How would I know that? No wonder the automated system when I first called said the order didn't exist.

Well, today, which is my birthday, I FINALLY got an email from Microsoft saying it has shipped and I can expect it in about a week. Guess MS wanted to give a me a birthday present ...hence the long delay! :D :D

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I originally ordered 02/17/04 and just today I received it. I had reordered three days ago and already have a shipping conformation. We'll see how long that one will take. ;)

6. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    ROFL ;) :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2004
  7. I am puzzled by this security update CD. Why would anyone need it? The updates are already downloadable from the web.

Can someone explain?

The only problem with the web-based updates I've found so far is that, having installed Service Pack 4, whenever I want to use my original Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro CD (for which I paid good money) I get an error message: "Windows cannot upgrade from Service Pack 4 to Service Pack 2".

Therefore the CD I originally bought is unusable! Not installing Service Pack 4 is not really an option, because inter alia, it fixes a security flaw preventing the downgrading of 'administrator' users (the initial setting on most PCs). to 'power users'. Having so many administrators on the system is obviously a security risk.

Does this CD fix that problem?

I suppose not.

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Err I suppose it's just a faster way to update before you go online with a particular PC. I got mine the other day - but won't be messing with it myself until such time as I may need to format a drive or something like that. Then I will have lots of Windows updates before I even hook up to the net.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Sherry's reply about having trouble running the applications on her update CD has been moved here in the hopes that her problem/s may be resolved there.

Detox

10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Matthew, Hi..

Like Detox said, it's available to you straight up, no need to download from web and risk infection trying to stop infection LOL.

It's primary useage would be, in my case, reformat and dialup linking. I recently reformatted and it took me several hours to reinstall SP1, patches, etc on my XP which was pre-SP1.

So in future, [if needed] I will have this disc. :D

TAS

11. Denim

Denim Registered Member

I just signed here at this Forum, and was looking around a bit. Thanks for the heads Up on the disks from Microsoft . I just put my order in . And will be telling others also. !!
    :)Denim :)

12. bigc73542

It sometimes takes a while to recieve the cd's but the will come evevtually/ You also get on the second cd a years free use of computer associates eZArmor antivirus and firewall.

13. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Ordered: 2/21 Confirmed: 3/20 Received: 4/5

Wheeee! Snail mail indeed!

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi all,

Ordered march 21, received at my home march 29!!!
    On my second CD there is NAV 2004 and NPF 2004.
    Both Dutch versions.

Greetings,

Gerard

15. bigc73542

On my second cd there is a free years use of computer associates eZarmor AV and Firewall. U.S.

16. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Same here, bigC. I'd be curious to find out why gerardwil got the Symantec stuff and if this holds for all other non-US versions. 'Export restrictions' doesn't strike me as being the case.

17. bigc73542

personally I would rather have the computer associates AV/FW ;)

18. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Well, well, I finally got mine ordered February 17 - flew in today per Microsoft Airmail to Vancouver (Canada) :D

I also had a free years use of computer associates eZarmor AV and Firewall.

19. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

I will ask Slammer if he is online he is dutch too, and there are some more dutch guys/galls around here, :D
    Both Nortons are 90 days versions, no prob for me i wont use them.

Gerard

20. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hmmmm, got my CD's today and have a year free of eTrust. Seems like we are all not getting the same freebies.

21. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I, also, received the etrust trial. Is there something amiss :eek:

22. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I did get mine finally last week and the second cd ha the EZ Armor on it. It would seem that it depends on your country as to what is on the 2nd Cd. US and Canada are getting EZ armor AV and Firewall free for one year. It seems the Netherlands is getting a 90 day Norton AV/firewall. I'm sure more will report on what they got and what country they are in.

23. bigc73542

Well I received my second update cd today, took it forever. Use this one on my sons comp. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.