Oracle Linux now offering free updates and errata

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tlu, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

According to a recent blog entry Oracle now offers free updates and errata for its Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone Oracle Linux. These instructions and this blog entry explain how to do it. There won't be access to ULN but I'm not sure what it offers beyond above updates.

Has anybody tried Oracle Linux, and how does it compare to CentOs and Scientific Linux?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Not me. Are there any good reasons to do so?

3. s23

s23 Registered Member

Currently I have one VM with it. So far it's OK, and the 3.0 Unbreakable Kernel (renamed to 2.6.39) can add more hardware compatibilities, which is always good. Until now, I just used it for Oracle Database Installations. I'm scheduling to try some details that i used in SL6, like how it behaves adding more repositories (elrepo, puias, rpmforge...) and transform it in a Full Desktop, with multimedia software and this kind of stuff. Wanna measure the delay for security updates come after release by RHEL. So far, for a very briefly use, seems stable and a good free alternative.

4. s23

s23 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.