Optimizing Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by amm, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amm

amm Registered Member

Hi,

Does any have any tips on restoring an image in the shortest amount of time? Does compression of the backup help or hinder performance?

Thanks.

Andrew

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide us with more detailed information on the problem? How long does it take for you to restore an image? What is the size of the image archive? Where do you store the image?

Please clarify whether you restore the image within Windows or in rescue mode.

Please note that if you select None compression, the data will be copied without any compression, which may significantly increase the backup file size. However, if you select Maximum compression, the archive will take longer to create or restore.
    The optimal data compression level depends on the type of files stored in the archive. For example, even maximum compression will not significantly reduce the archive size if the archive contains essentially compressed files, like .jpg, .pdf or .mp3.
    Generally, it is recommended that you use the default Normal compression level. You might want to select Maximum compression for removable media to reduce the number of blank disks required.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My take on compression is that if you have fast processor you may be able to reduce the backup time with compression since less data has to be transferred. This is particularly true if you are backing up to a device that has a relatively slow transfer rate. Good example of this is a network drive on a 100Mbps network.

I don't know how well TI's High Compression setting compares with Normal but in my DI2002 program the saving with High didn't seem to be worth the bother.

If I have a partition mostly of already compressed files like jpg, mpeg, zip etc I usually (when I remember) turn off the compression since it doesn't achieve anything.

This is easily tested on your own system by running backups with different levels of compression.

Best tip for reducing backup/restore time is to minimize size of the image where possible. If you have System Restore enabled either disable it or minimize the space it uses.

If you have large amounts of files that never change get them off the partition you backup the most, typically C. I run with my large games (Flight Simulator for one) installed on a different partition. Some people install all their apps on a non-C partition. You should back up the partition the apps are installed in from time to time to keep it in sync with C since C does contain info about the apps installed on another partition.

A HD to HD (physical or logical) is the fastest way to create and restore images.

Don't use the rescue CD to restore directly from optical drives, copy the image files to a HD first and then do the restore ( at least on my system).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.