Optimal Install on Partitioned RAID?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KCDoug, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCDoug

KCDoug Registered Member

I purchased and downloaded TI 7 two weeks ago and began to install it last Sat., but decided to hold off b/c I would prefer to not install in the default location (C:\Program Files...) where I am trying to limit other programs beyond the OS.

My First Question: For TI to work most effectively, do I need to let it install itself on the C: drive? Will it work as well if I install on another partition (logical)?

I'm running Win XP (home) on a pretty new machine that I've had built for audio and video editing. I have SATA HDs, the first is a NTFS partitioned RAID Stripe 0 HD (as mentioned, the primary partition C: I'm trying to reserve for the OS), the second is a 120GB NTFS HD I use for file backups. I'm using an Intel motherboard with built-in Intel RAID controller. (And wonder if there is a problem with Imaging and restore process recognizing the controller/RAID.)

My Second Question: Does anybody have experience with TI working properly on Win XP NTFS with a RAID hard drive configuration? I read somewhere that it does, but would sure like to hear from someone firsthand. I originally purchased DriveImage whose rescue/restore CD would not work - kept saying I had a network problem (it's a home PC on dial up) and their tech support after dragging their feet for several weeks finally confessed that it's an occassional issue working with RAID and they don't think they'll be fixing it. I got a refund.

Based on what I've read on this relatively new forum, I should be entitled to free upgrade to TI8, but I think I'll hold off installing that version for a while. But would like to get V.7. going to be sure TI is my image & restore solution.

Thanks,
    -Doug-

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  2. Max Fall

Max Fall Guest

>Does anybody have experience with TI working properly on Win XP NTFS with a RAID hard drive configuration?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I sure can attest that True Image 7 build 584 works with XP Pro NTFS raid 1 that I have on this ASUS P4P800 motherboard. I have a raid 1 mirrored array with two 160gb SATA disks. The motherboard has a Intel 82801ER raid controller on it. This configuartion works with the image either on the secure zone or on another server. It also works fine with with the bootable rescue media burned on a CD. Couldn't be happier with this.

I cannot say the same about True Image Server 7 which also have. I have a server with the same disk configuartion and motherboard with Win 2000 server. I have found that anytime I I attempt to run True Image Server with Windows it crashes the server. I have created a bootable rescue disk it appears to work ok with this server. I have also tried TIS on a Dell server with a PERC raid controller with SCSI disks in a raid 1 and raid 5 confuguartion and it is also ok. There must be a conflict with the Windows/Intel drivers. I have not tried TIS 8 that was just released.

Hope this helps

3. LXC

LXC Registered Member

I can't speak to on-board RAID Controllers but TI 7 has problems with the Promise FasTrak SX4000 PCI RAID Controller. TI 7 can Image my RAID 5 under Win XP sp2 but TI 7 can not restore the RAID 5 from the rescue disk. I have been told by Acronis since TI 6 that the Promise SX 4000 will be supported in the next release so far no. I don't know if TI 7 build 627 or TI 8 supports the Promise SX 4000 because my system hangs when I hit Next on the rescue disks of both the TI 7 build 627 and TI 8. It seems both TI 7 build 627 and TI 8 have a problem reading SATA drives from the rescue disk. Acronis has been working on the problem for some time. Lets hope Acronis is working 24/7 because if you did not keep a copy of TI 7 build 613 you are dead in the water.

- LXC

4. KCDoug

KCDoug Registered Member

Max & LXC - thanks for taking time to share your comments - which reminded me that I failed to mention I also have SATA disks. I edited my original post to correct that ommission.

I'm a little apprehensive installing TI to see if it'll work. If it fails, I will really be in a quandry about what to use for reliable imaging and restoring. I've had two catastrophic events that required me to wipe the RAID and restore - without a hitch using the manufacturer supplied restore CD. Which, BTW, was created with Norton Ghost.

Interestingly, I posted a question a week ago to Acronis tech support describing my system and asking for feedback about the install and whether or not there were any potential problems I should be aware of. So far, not a word back from them. It's a little disconcerting that tech support response is sooooo long given the emergency nature/mission of this software.

-Doug-

5. LXC

LXC Registered Member

Doug -

With SATA drives it is a gamble at this point. I had an 40G WD IDE OS HD that I replaced with a 80G WD Raptor SATA Drive and used TI 7 build 613. First I imaged the IDE and then restored to the SATA and it ran flawlessly. I could not do it now with the current builds. It will take me a while to regain my confidence in TI after the problems are solved. I would not do a retore to a SATA drive until then.

- LXC

6. rford

rford Registered Member

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB with 2x WD 75GB Raptors as RAID 0 off the onboard VIA controller and 2x WD 250GB Caviars as RAID1 off the onboard promise controllers, All SATA drives. Drive C: is RAID0 Drive F: is RAID1.

When I use TI8 to create an imge from Drive C: to a .tib files on Drive F: it creates fine, but "check image" says its corrupted.

Anyone else have this problem. ? This program needs to be fixed.

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, rford

It happens.

Try running chkdsk [For a full check to verify files, find and fix bad sectors and data scan.] and then a defrag.

Then try again.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: Acronis Do advise to Run CHKDSK before making a Image.

8. rford

rford Registered Member

Thanks, for the response. I tried that, same result. I guess my question is that since this is disk image tool can you image a RAID0 filesystem to a RAID1 ? I am thinking that is the problem due to the different sector layout

hate to mix issues in a thread, but its sorta related. SinceI am trying to image a boot drive and apparantly there is no support for both custom disk drivers in creating the Acronis rescue CD, how can I restore the image?

thanks alot

rford

9. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, rford

Like to say yes no bother but cannot, never much used Raid1 [waste of a HDD IMHO] but once done you should not need to Image it much, just for safety from malware etc.

Just rebuild if a HDD goes down.

But I have put a PATA Image on to Raid0, which I am using right now, and running reasonably fast. See the last post over on Official DiamondCS Public Forums> CryptoSuite> Re: CryptoSuite Benchmark Results.

The only thing I can say is give it a try rford see how it go's

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

10. Mariner2

Mariner2 Registered Member

I am new to this forum and am just reading thru all the threads.
    I have a sata raid0 array on two wdraptors using the onboard intel sata controlers of my mobo (abit ic7-max3).
    I have no problems with it using TI8 . I even did a succesfull restore from the secure zone.
    mariner2
    :D

11. KCDoug

KCDoug Registered Member

Mariner2 - thanks for your response. I did finally get a reply last week via the salesperson I contacted, who obtained and forwarded a belated reply from tech support. Basically said I could install on any partition of my raid. I had provided the details of my computer and asked if they saw anything in my equip. & software config. that might be a problem. The response was no. So I installed TI 8 on one of my two logical partitions this past weekend.

Install went okay. I even burned a full boot CD, but had a couple of unexplained incidents. When I went to the burn a boot disk screen, after about 30 seconds of inactivity (I hadn't started anything yet) I got a blue screen Stop error. This happened a couple of times. I tried tracking the stop error code via google search and MS knowlege base, but did not find anything conclusive. To truncate a longer story - a possible catalyst may be my HP3100 Laserjet printer that HP did not release XP certified drivers for, just a work around that enables the printer to work. Funny thing is that on a couple of subsequent openings of the create boot disk screen I didn't have any problems. But when I went to shut down my pc a short time later on two occassions, I got a stop blue screen. Each time I accessed the TI program I disabled my AV and my Spyware and didn't have any other programs open.

I'm a little apprehensive but not scared off yet.

At any rate, I didn't have a problem burning the boot cd and I did try booting with it once, and it seemed to boot into the TI main screen. I have not gone any further and have not made an image yet. Will try this coming weekend.

Cheers,
    -Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.