OPSWAT AV Market Share Report - December 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by silverfox99, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

December 2012 AV market share report is out at OPSWAT site:
    http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-december-2012

According to the latest report (data received from OPSWAT uninstall tool), Avast! is top AV in use worldwide, Microsoft Essentials is top in North America with a 30.4% share, up 9.1% in last 6 months.

http://www.opswat.com/sites/default/files/north-america-av-product-only-rtp.png

Another interesting stat thrown up is what % of AV users have real time protection on - MSE has the biggest here with 94.2% real time activated and at the bottom is NIS with the lowest rate of real time protection at 66.6%. Interesting so thats 35% of NIS users don't have real time protection on??

http://www.opswat.com/sites/default/files/real-time-protection-enabled.png

Other interesting stat is when was last sig update? Top here is MSE with 94% of users having sig update in last 7 days. Bottom is Norton & AVG with only 50% of users having updated sigs in last 7 days - looks like 40% NIS and AVG users running with sigs 60+ days out of date!

http://www.opswat.com/sites/default/files/av-time-since-last-update.png

Interesting report. I guess MSE comes tops for having the most users with up-to-date sigs, as other AVs stop updating and/or cut functionality unless you continue to pay sub, or activate/complete product registration, which i guess many users fail to do. MSE just keeps working whatever.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

mse have good updates becouse many dont even disable it when have other antivirus on. so its still getting uppdated. :D

3. silverfox99

Oh yeah, didn't think of it like that. With MSE hitting 30% in North America will authorities start looking at anti-trust or is the fact that users now *choose* to install mean there is no 'market manipulation'? Just surprised at the speedy build up of dominance in AV market, and the impact on other vendors?

4. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Since they are using the Appremover as a basis for the results, doesn't this indicate that the top AVs are actually the ones people are removing from their systems most often?

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I think you meant "aren't the ones people are removing from their systems most often."

This doesn't seem like a valid method for evaluating product popularity since some folks test a lot of different products and use such tools to remove the crap-ware that comes with most installations. You'd get more accurate results by looking at the number customers that renew their subscription/license.

6. silverfox99

Good point. At the start of the report it should say, "Of all the people who used appremover to uninstall their security product.............. we saw the following products being used"

So yes you are right it is a snapshot of particular users undertaking an uninstall of security application so should be taken with a pinch of salt and considered alongside sales report numbers, surveys and other data.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

i dont bother with appremover as i found it useless.I use comodo programs manager which monitors everything that i may install and so uninstalling is usually a breeze.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

AppRemover most Frequently Uninstalled AVs = OPSWAT Highest Market Share AVs ? :doubt:

9. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yes, it seems like that is their conclusion, and the point I was trying to make. Makes no sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.