OPSS 2009 & Its protection on commandline parameters runs?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Xitrum, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

I do not see explicitly whether OPSS2009 is protecting windows users from commandline parameters runs like OnlineAmor does with each applications with its application advance settings?

2. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

I'm quite familiar with OP but not with OA. If you explain in detail what this OA functionality is perhaps I can tell you if it's there in OP.

3. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

TIA.
    In paid version OA advance settings on each application, users can set which executables can run with which specific commandline parameters that I do not see in OPSS.

4. Manny Carvalho

OP's host protection can monitor executables and their respective components. It can also tell you about changed or unknown executables as shown in the attachment. But if you are asking if it can control non-network aware programs like Process Guard then no, it can't do that.

Are you by any change talking about autoruns management? http://www.tallemu.com/autoruns_management.html

Attached Files:

• CC.gif
      CC.gif
      File size:
      19.1 KB
      Views:
  5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't know how OA works, as I've never tried it, but I believe what Xitrum is saying is that OA allows users to set XYZ application to prevent to run with extra command lines, which they have not set.

Example:

You can run Google Chrome/Chromium browsers with the following commands, for example

"C:\Program Files\Chromium\chrome.exe" --incognito --user-data-dir="PROFILE2" -disable-javascript -disable-java -disable-plugins

Maybe OA makes it possible to prevent any additional commands to be set, to prevent abuse by malware.

Is that it Xitrum?

6. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

Yes it is. Thanks

7. Manny Carvalho

No, OP doesn't manage applications like that.

8. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

If it is, that seems a miss, and OA is over OPSS in this security point of application advance control.
    OPSS misses one function of purging with one button click nono-existence of application components and applications from its application control list OA does it well.
    OA is more transparent that sometimes it is not great. OA does not show its interact with raw network access as OPSS does give control to users. There is only one point OA show raw network access when it asks users "windows SYSTEM process" want to access network in/out; that's all OA shows it.

IS that wrong?

9. Manny Carvalho

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand your question. OP can easily delete applications from its list. Components can each be deleted in a similar way.

Network access is easily viewed in the main interface. Current connections are shown in Network Activity. Other items, packets for example, are shown in the logs.

If i misunderstood your question please try again.

Attached Files:

10. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

With OP, users must pick manually out each junks and process purge one by one whileas OA users can do with 2 simple steps, first with checkmark on "only deleted entries", the final step goes with clicking "Remove" button, it is done.

11. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

I mean about RAW internetwork access. For example, when you have wmware running, in a virtual os running, this virtual box access network with RAW sockets; in host os, with OP running, you can control the virtual box with configurations on the RAW socket accessing. You can see RAW socket access control by OP when you browse to the tab "Option" as shown on your screen capture attachment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.