Opinions please.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hugger, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Why do you say this? Are you saying that rollback or classic imaging is not returning the drive to a good state?

I have my own opinions on the topic, but wanted to hear what you think about it.

Sul.

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

No, I talked hypothetically (= in case of Hard Disk Failure).
    I test so much Software that my PCs need a Format once every six (6) months.:D
    Instant System Recovery solutions have Never failed me:
    Since 2007, I've used Rollback Rx, EAZ-FIX, and AyRecovery.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

You can restore a good image, no need to format. I create a 'clean' image of the OS(meaning installing drivers, tweaking settings and services, and as less 3rd party software as possible) then when I want to start from scratch I just restore that image.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Yes, I have never ever reinstalled windows, and my PC has been running for 6 years ! But I do have restored several times the system partition from an image backup.

To test new software, I also use Sandboxie & Shadow Defender, and almost all of my testing needs are covered that way.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Ok. Then hypothetically, why do you feel you need to format the pc every 6 months exactly if you are using imaging? Are you reinstalling the OS fresh when you format or putting an image back on?

Sul.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I don't use Imaging software at all.
    I only use Instant System Recovery,
    as the Snapshot Technology of Instant System Recovery software has been ideal to my Testing.
    With all the Testing I do (e.g. different Setups, Configurations etc.)
    using Imaging software (i.e. Restore <=> Back Up) would have taken me Ages to do what I want.

Whenever I have the time and especially when a Testing Cycle is over,
    I format my PCs and install Instant System Recovery software.
    This is done every 6 or 8 months.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I see. The reformat then is due to too much tinkering. I understand that. But why don't you just roll back (which is imaging of sorts) to the first snapshot? Why reinstall?

Perhaps you have changed your system and what you run on it by all the testing. But if your baseline system is always the same from reinstall to reinstall, what advantage do you have by reinstalling? I only ask because I thought rollback softwares could do that for you rather than having to reinstall.

Sul.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yes, I've always go back to my Baseline.
    However, every 6 or 8 months, I prefer to FULLY Format my PCs.
    It is Not that my System got Infected or it became Slow.
    It is part of my Maintenance routine.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

So, you format the drive (or partition) and then put on the OS, then put on the snapshot/rollback software, then what? Do you just build up the install and use it, or do you put a snapshot from "before" back in place, similar to restoring an image.

Might I ask, what is your technical reason for feeling the need to perform a format? Do you know what happens when you format, let along the quick vs. full for NTFS? If you have a baseline, why don't you just make an image of it with macrium or other and put it back on?

My line of thought here is simply to see how much you know about formatting especially concerning the pros and cons of long term image use. I am hoping to glean some knowledge if any is to be had. Not trying to grill you or anything like that. You are the first person I can recall who has mentioned this, and it is something I have gathered information on but haven't met anyone who might actually had experience to share.

Sul.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

This is what I do:
    a) Format my PC.
    b) Install Windows & Office.
    c) Install the latest versions of the Rest software.
    (Before Formatting my PC, I make sure I have the latest versions of the software I use).
    d) Clean my Hard Disk from Junk files, Clean my Registry, Defrag my Registry, and Defrag my Hard Disk.
    e) Install (from Scratch = all over again) my Instant System Recovery (e.g. Rollback Rx),
    set a Baseline, and use the Built-in Defrag Tool to Defrag my Baseline.

That's it.

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I guess I do! ...Since, I have had this custom build with 3 x 320GB drives. I am not against imaging, it is just that I am not conversant with it. So, presently I have just relied on ISR software.

So, imaging software is something I will probably go with when I go to new custom computer build and whatever OS system is current at the time.

For the moment I don't want to introduce further complexity to my existing system.

P.S. This setup has been going since OCT 2007, with no reformat. I must be lucky...or perhaps I know a little about what I am doing. ;)

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I wish you always have such luck. But, it has nothing to do with luck or knowledge. You can buy a very good PSU, good cables and always keep your hdds as cool as possible, and still have a hdd fail. It is the nature of electronics I am afraid.

It will only take one time, when a hdd fails and you have data on it that you did not have backed up somewhere else to get that flavor in your mouth. It is one of those things that once you get burnt, you might determine never to have that happen again. Mirrored raid is my favored solution rather than other storage media.

Sul.

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I agree...it goes without saying. :) That is why, I continue to read all about alternatives, such as imaging, but I still demur. :)

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Perzackly.
    one of my best purchases: never regretted it:
    http://www.readynas.com/?cat=4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.