Opinions on Online Armor AV Plus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

As I continue to test out security programs though about this one and wondering anyone's impressions of it. has anyone tried this and what are your impressions as to its performance, speed, level of security and any other things. Thanks again.

Gary

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I'm giving it a trial right now in lieu of my DrWEB renewal which is due near the end of November. I have a license for Online Armor w/o AV. I have always been very impressed with Online Armors HIPS protection plus the spam filter. This version includes an AV with one of the best engines going, the Kaspersky engine. Very-very soon it will also include a firewall at no extra charge. You also will get some of the best customer support I have run into at the Tallemu forums. The big thing to get used to is the fact that the Antivirus does not provide full real time scanning but instead provides execution protection. You can also do a full Antivirus scan periodically as you see fit. It seems weird but with the security Online Armor provides its as airtight as you can get. My heart still leans a bit towards DrWEB due to its feather light solid performance but time will tell. Hope this helps...:cool:

3. huntnyc

Thanks, it does. How is your machine running, is there much of a slowdown and what firewall are you using until OA AV Plus is updated? Thanks.

Gary

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Not much slowdown here at all and performance over all is very good. As for firewall right now I am running Look N Stop 2.05p3 Beta which is incredibly light and one of the most secure going based on Firewall tests. Just use the included enhanced rulesset and you are good to go...:eek: :D

5. huntnyc

I do have an LnS license. Also, what is your take on no RTM regarding virus protection. I assume you performed a scan when you first installed and then you schedule frequent scans. Also, does it eliminate spyware from web pages before they reach your HDD? And one more thing, does the antispam program work with various mail clients. I use TheBat! Thanks again. I appreciate your feedback. This product is as expensive as KIS 6 so I will try it before I buy but this information is helpful.

Gary

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

When you load the program and set it up it will do a scan for spyware and other dangerous programs and it will remove them. From that point on the program blocks any other possible spyware though you will have to deal with the occasional popup asking you what to do or what to allow. Once you click yes or no and then always remember this action you are pretty much done. I went through all my programs and ran them so it was pretty much configured as to what to allow right away. The spam filter appears to work with all mail clients. As to the RTM issue I hashed this out with Mike Nash at Tallemu, he is the big guru and he does post in here quite often. I also discussed this in there forum with a few other users. With the level of protection the HIPS program offers and the AV execution protection you are in very secure hands. As I said, it feels kinda weird since I am used to real time protection with DrWEB here and the F-Prot beta running on my work laptop. You get used to it though...:eek: :rolleyes: :)

7. huntnyc

Might be trying this one for use on my main laptop. it sounds definitely worth trying anyway. Thanks again. Did they say when firewall might be in place?

Also, I tried their Web site several times today and it seems down for some reason. Is it working for you?

Gary

8. huntnyc

One more thing - if you decide to buy, do you need to uninstall the trial or just plug in a key or password? Thanks again.

Gary

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi huntnyc the tallemu website is working for me atm but sometimes it just just go down for no reason and have been quite a few threads on this forum about it and one thread from me a while ago so it will work for you eiether now or very soon. there is a shortcut link to the forums here http://support.online-armor.com/forums/
    take of forums and you will be taken to the site as well.

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

11. huntnyc

Thanks and I am checking out the forum.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.