opinions on "mcafee total protection"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trekie12cat, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dread

dread Registered Member

McAfee has never slowed down my computer. Yes you can turn off the splash screen. Good dectection rates good price.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, free is always good :)

suite from my ISP (before you ask :D )

3. Gypsyatheart

Gypsyatheart Registered Member

I'm new to this so please bear with me...old laptop was stolen & just got a Dell 1720 with McAfee Security Center preinstalled. Prior to this I have always used Zone Alarm Pro...However, since this new system has Vista installed I'm at a loss for what to do (ie:best) I want to be as safe as possible...I think I like ZA better (or maybe I was just comfortable?) but while I could get around XP fairly well; I am still baffled by Vista's ways. Is there anyone who can give me some advice on a very good firewall that a newbie can follow. Also if you do suggest another firewall, do I disable McAfee & if so how?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks

4. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

gypsyatheart,
    if you can keep zone alarm firewall, i think you should. i think it is the easiest to understand. i am kind of a newbie myself.
    i bought a computer at a yard sale with mcafee installed. when i decided to switch to another AV, i called mcafee for help. at that time there was an exact procedure for removal. i must admit that the customer support was awesome. i was totally inept and they stuck with me through a very trying time.

5. Milos Diklic

Milos Diklic Registered Member

Yes, McAfee is excelent AV software... Installl it and dont worry.It will do everything for you!:D
    But I have a question! What is curent McAfee firewall engine? My is 8.2.122! I´m not sure that it is updating. Virus scan updates normally and security center too. I have Virus scan plus.
    Thanks!!

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You could decide till the new update (if ever?) takes place.
    The alternative is to remove your current version (ALL McAfee software), and reinstall it from your account (assuming you have a subscription).
    For instructions about how to do it I refer you the the McAfee forum, section security center 8. Make sure you do it the right way ! Personally, I'd remove the temp files after having removed the 'old' McAfee software.

Please note that newer is not always better, it's a mixed bag.

7. Milos Diklic

I have dial-up internet so download from account is not an option (not good option at least :'( ). I will try to reinstall it from cd and see what happens.
    Thanks and many regards...

8. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi.

I also think MCafee is very good antivirus and not a resource hog.
    I would also suggest reinstalling VirusScan plus and see if everything then is Ok.
    I am not sure what is the latest version of firewall engine because I am not currently using it.

Let us know any new informations.

Pozdrav!

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi.

When you try to install from cd, there are two options of installation; one is from Internet-which will probably d/l newest versions, the other is from cd itself which could be a bit behind in versions. Good luck.

10. Milos Diklic

Pozdrav Sasa!!:D
    I reinstalled and everything is fine now. But I have another question:how to use superDat for update? I run it but it says can´t find any McAfee product on my computer, then it stops instalation and all I have left of it is a log file:oops:
    Thanks!

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

glad to hear you have it.

As to sig update, you need to use built-in updater, either auto or manual.
    On your McAfee security centre, there is a info regarding your subscription status.. McAfee usually update once daily from Monday to Friday.

12. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hello.

I have just installed MCafee VirusScan Plus and the firewall engine is 8.2.122 as You wrote.
    Maybe there have been no problems with the firewall engine so far but I am sure that they will update it when it is required.

Regards.

13. Milos Diklic

Hello to all!! My subscrip. stat. is "active" and I still can`t make Mcafee to update from superDAT file. I tried updating it by just selecting "update" from security center but nothing. Who can solve this mysteryo_O? :D

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I think 'superDAT' will not work that way.

So you have the choice between the '2007' version, and receiving DAT (signature) updates about every working day, and waiting for an update that may eventually take place, or totally getting rid of McAfee and reinstalling it from your online account.

Again, newer is not always better.

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Maybe the people at the McAfee forum can help you with your question. It sometimes takes a while to get an answer, but there should be someone there who knows about updating from superDAT files.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Try this:

Go to www.McAfee.com/us/ then select "small business downloads" >security updates >Click " I agree" >DAT file> select the appropriate one(DAT zip for windows)

Good luck

17. kurchatovium

kurchatovium Registered Member

I used Mcafee products for years and then they became more and more of a problem. Slowing the computer way down, bugging you to update your license every day when you were in a month of expiring, and then to update you had to unistall all the components, delete items from your registry and then reinstall everything. No thanks. Really at what point does a security suite become more of a problem then malware its suppose to protect you from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.